cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrites not working - getting critical now!

rascom
Level 2
We were recommended a Tandberg RDX80 tape drive alongside a Backup Exec 2010 solution for our MS Server 2003 SBS system.  This was back in July.
I've spoken to Symantec tech support about this and it still isn't working so I'm hoping someone on here can point us in the right direction instead.

We're trying to set it so that we have one tape for each weekday which then gets overwritten the next week.
I have used the Media Set wizard to create a Backup to Disk Folder media set which is configured to overwrite data after 1day and append data is also set to one day.  The backup sets are set to 10Gb, no more than 7 files per media set (as we were advised to by Symantec TS).

Backing up around 50Gb each night.

It's done one week fine up to the end of July and then since last Monday and then its not done anymore since, just says there isn't enough room on the tape.  I have gone through every option I can to find out why the overwrite facility isn't working and jst cannot see it.  Given we're now on the 10th of the month and we've not had a backup since around 30th July, I'm naturally getting rather twitchy now!

Has anyone got any pointers?  I'll be honest, this is the 1st time I've used BackupExec in about 10 years and other products I've used have been a lot easier to use than this but I was advised this was a doddle to use and maintain for the long-term so we stumped up the extra cash for it and now I'm wondering whether it was worth it for the amount of time I've spent going through option after option in the settings!

Anyone....?
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are all your jobs OVERWRITE rather than APPEND?  IF you append data, all BKF files in the "append family" share a common OPP, which is reset when the latest BKF file is closed, and as such none will ever be available for overwrite/reuse

Verify that the OPP for the media set(s) is set to 6 days

7 sets per file would refer to a total of drives on the media server, network shares, databases in one BKF file.  if you ever got to 8, a new BKF file would be created, but with a 10GB size, this should be no problem, tho I would probably set it to 5GB instead, since if you ever get over 50 - say 50.5 or 51 GB, you will be wasting the rest of the 10GB in the 6th BKF file

If you have indeed filled the disk with APPEND files, you are going to need to retire some of the older ones manually before the jobs will start re-using the BKF files

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

re: Tandberg RDX80 tape drive

I believe that is a disk unit, not a tape drive (just to clarify for anybody else reading this).  It uses hard disk cartridges, not tapes.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check a couple of things.

1) On the Media tab, go to the media and click on each file and see whether it can be overwritten as you expected.

2) Go to Tools ---> Option and see that the setting below is set.