Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE HELP!

chinh_tran
Level 3
i'm new to veritas backup exec 9.1... this is what i need to do

mon - thurs : Differential backup
fri - full backup

I have 12 LTO Ultra Lithium 100/200 compressed backup tapes to use, so that's 3 months of backup. After 3 months, i'll recycle it again and go thru tape 1-12 again .how would i configure my media set to do so (make it overwrite again after 3 months)? or any other things i have to do to accomplish this?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
3 REPLIES 3

Brian_McLean
Level 2
There are several different things you can do. First, you need to determine what your backup retention policy is for the company. Also, it would be helpful to know how much data you normally back up with an average Full and Differential backup.

I would recommend the following: (depending on your hardware)

One Drive - no autoloader
Use 1 tape for Full backup (1 tape per week for your Full)
Use 1 tape for Differential backup (1 tape per week of differentials)

Once you determine how long you want to retain the data, you can determine how many tapes to use. In my environment, we keep 6 weeks of Full media and 3 weeks of Diff media.

You will probably want to configure two media sets - Full and Diff

In the example above, I would set overwrite protection on my Full set for 5 weeks (will be overwritten on the sixth week). I would also set the overwrite protection on the Differential set to 2 weeks (overwritten on the 3rd week)

You may also want to consider creating a DR (Disaster Recovery) Tape periodically that you keep in a safe location. Personally, I create a DR every week and store it offsite with a six week rotation in addition to a 3 week rotation for my Full backup which remains onsite.

Hope this helps.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

We want to know if the solution provided has helped you in getting resolv ethis issue?

Also you can refer the following technote for more information.

The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for WindowsNOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days,
this post would be 'assumed answered' and archived. Servers.

Regards,

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply