cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POLL - How many are going back to 10d from 11d?

Jamie_Orth
Level 3
OK, after talking with my Network Admin, we are going back to 10d. It had its issues but we seldom have a backup that works with 11d, and we are doing BASIC backups, nothing fancy.
20 REPLIES 20

Kingsley_Mok
Level 5
We are in the process of reverting back to 10.1d as of January 3 2007 9:00am PST

Stephen_Antoniu
Level 3
We are not upgrading to 11 after testing fialed to produce a decent backup.

We are actually staing at 10 (pre Symantec).

Tim_Londo
Level 3
We are unable to perform a differential backup using 11d. We are reverting back to 10d because that works!

Mark_Gould_2
Level 3
Yeap, I moving back to 10d from 11d because of the issues.

Luckily, I was using 11d in trial so have spent no money!

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
I would be back to 10d except that the backup server was loaded with 2003 x64. We bought 10d after looking over the web page on it (supports all 2003 server which we thought meant x64 too).

With the massive amount of time I've spent with support it would have been less work to tear the server down, load 2003 x32, and re install BE.

Veritas used to have a good reputation. Now that it is Symantec, well......

Sherry_Bayless
Level 4
I absolutely would go back if I could. But since we are subject to financial industry regs, we need encryption for our tapes. :( That's the ONLY reason I'm still plinking away trying to get v.11d to work. (and so far its still NOT working)

Dominic_Moore
Level 4
Is there documentation on how to revert? Will 10d install now that keys for 11 have been created/used? Basic backups are being "missed" here as I have posted in a couple of other threads.

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
We are not reverting. We have a working system state.

Garen_Keshishia
Level 4
I won't revert but sure as hell won't be upgrading our other 10d installations for a while.

Kingsley_Mok
Level 5
Well,

Finally, reverted back to BE 10d and with all the SP and fixes in place yesterday.

Brought the catalog back over and re-catalog the the current tapes. Reconfigured the settings today.

It's sooooo nice to see that the backup is running as it should. Schedule is as scheduled when to do backup. Job Logs are showing up as it should.

I now have a big smile and no frustration with BE 10d now.

The only problem during the process of reverting was, BE 10d remote agent install does not work because of v11d agents on all those servers. You got it, I had to manually uninstall all those v11d agents from all those servers. All those typing and remoting, my eyes strained and my fingers narled. BE 10d remotes agent install works now.

Shane_Vincent
Level 4
Yep, I'm back on 10d, uninstalled 11d on 2nd Jan 07. so far ive had 3 successful backups since then...

Only wish i could get my money back now...

David_Hall_2
Level 3
Yep...going back. I can't get a return call for a priority issue, even though I have a maintenance agreement until May. When that expires, I'll be looking elsewhere for my backup software for sure. If these guys can't support it, I'm not using it...

BlueEchoes
Level 4
okay, I am starting to get the chills. I have not upgraded yet, but I did install 11d on our test lab to play around a bit. Looks like I am just going to shut the test system down for a few months until I start seeing some positives here. 10d just worky fine for me, no need to destroy that with an upgrade.

Shane_Vincent
Level 4
Brian, after what i have gone though over the last month I would *definitely not* recommend upgrading until at least Symantec provide us with some answers as to when the problems will be fixed or even acknowledging that there is problems would be a start....

My advice, wait for 11.1

Cheers - SV

Tasita_Ebacher
Level 3
Yes, I'm in the process of going back to 10d from out 11d "upgrade" last week that caused the server to BSOD & lock up every 10 minutes.

But, 11d WILL NOT uninstall properly, and I can't seem to find the manual uninstall instructions on Symantec's support site. Anyone have the manual uninstallation instructions??

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
AFAIK, Veritas/Symantec have never published instructions for manually removing BackupExec from a media server

http://support.veritas.com/docs/232443 is for Remote Agent only, but following the general idea there

Shut down all BackupExec services
From HKLM_Software\Symantec - remove the tree for BackupExec
Delete the install directory (x:\Program Files\BackupExec )

Reboot

Restore your last backup fo the v10 directories (using BTBackup), re-install BackupExec v10x, run BEUTIL and "recover from a file" pointing to the latest BEDB.BAK file

With all the changes in structure fromn v10x to v11d, I don't think there is any way to back out the install and leave a funtioning v10x

Jamie_Orth
Level 3
OK, so the majority of users are:

1) Going back
2) Not going to upgrade yet
3) Can't go back for various reasons.

We decided to give it another try. What we did was start from a clean install instead of an upgrade. Completely redid all of our backup jobs - one at a time. so far we have had very good results. The other thing we did was to make sure we had the latest firmware and drivers for our tape drives and library. I think that helped as much as anything. Many of the issues we seemed to have before was the software communicating with the hardware. Hope this helps and good luck to all....

Laurie_sparke
Level 2
Count us in.
This version of the product simply doesn't work. It cannot be relied upon to do a backup.
Symantec should pull the product immediately before someone gets really hurt.Message was edited by:
Laurie sparke

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
To answer the question on how to manually remove the product, this is an unofficial document for 9.1:
http://itmanager.blogs.com/notes/2005/04/how_to_manually.html

That should be of some assistance at least.