cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password changed

Diane_Valenze
Level 3
We recently changed the administrator password on our network. I changed it in Backup Exec under Network - Logon Accounts.

We backup 3 different servers and all of them are working fine except for the NT 4.0 server. I keep getting a message "access denied to remote agent. Check the login account for the specified device".

Where else do I need to change this password? I know the new password works on the NT server because when I reboot it, that's what I use.

Thanks for any help I can get on this.

Diane
14 REPLIES 14

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Under what account does the BackupExec Remote agent on your NT machine run ?

Regards
A van der Boom

Diane_Valenze
Level 3
It runs under administrator.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

The remote agent should run under local system account so change the service to run under local system account on Win NT and then verify
Please update us the result.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Diane_Valenze
Level 3
Good Afternoon-

Well, we tried to do that but when we change the Backup Exec service on the NT server from System Account to Local System, it does not hold the change.

I stopped the service, hit the Startup button, unchecked "System Account", checked "This Account" and LocalSystem appears. There is a password field there with something in it (all asterisks). I tried leaving that as is, and I also tried changing it to the new password.

When I start the service again and go back to Startup, it is back to System Account.

Thanks,
Diane

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

To change the account to use Local system account "select the properties of Backup exec for remote agent service", click on "Log on" tab and selct the option as "Local system account".

Note: Do not select another option as "This account".

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Diane_Valenze
Level 3
Good Morning-

I've been on vacation, so I apologize for the delay in responding.

I cannot find where I am supposed to be doing what you suggested. Do I do this in Control Panel - Services? If so, there are no Properties options and you cannot right click on a service.

Am I supposed to be looking for a file in Explorer? I have done a search on my NT server and cannot find anything called "Backup Exec for remote agent service".
Anything that I have that says Backup Exec, doesn't have a Log on tab in Properties.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just can't find it.

Thanks,
Diane
p.s. - is there a way for me to get an email when you've posted a reply?

Vishal_Dutta
Level 4
Diane you can go to do this in "services"...
"start -->Programs --> Administrative tools --> Services" right click "Backup exec remote agent for Windows Servers" choose properties, on the log on tab choose "local system account".

You can get an email everytime someone replies to this thread by choosing to "Watch this thread" there should be an icon on top of this thread with a lil pair of binoculars with an option next to it called "watch this thread"

dang I could use a vacation...

Diane_Valenze
Level 3
Well, that would be the problem......I don't have "services" under adiministrative tools!

p.s. - ya gotta take some time off!

Vishal_Dutta
Level 4
you can do a windows search for "services" or find it in
"C:\WINDOWS\system32" depending on ur OS

any suggestions on where? Anywhere except RIO...cuase I wont wanna come back...

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

In windows NT 4.0 the services can be found in Conrol panel> services. Please refer to the following technote to locate the services applet in Windows NT.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/236266

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Diane_Valenze
Level 3
Hi-

I did know that "services" are in control panel on NT 4.0. However, there is no place in there that gets me to "Properties".

I just followed the instructions in the link you gave me, but it doesn't help. It talks about turning on Debug to create a log file. Nowhere does it get me to a properties box that would have a Logon tab.

Diane

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

That technote was just a pointer on how to go the services. The other stpes are not relevant to you. Sorry if that was not clear to you.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Diane_Valenze
Level 3
Okay, so I am back to square one!

Can anyone help me with why my Backup Exec 9.1 no longer will backup my remote NT 4.0 server after we changed the admin password??

Thanks,
Diane

Diane_Valenze
Level 3
Well, I found the answer from some guy who does network installs.

You have to go to the Job properties, go to Selections, find the remote server, right click on it and go to "Connect as" then edit the logon account and choose 'change password'.

I did not have to do this with any of my other remote servers, but for some reason I had to do it with the NT server.

Thanks to all who tried to help me!

Diane