cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permission denied to view CIFS shares

Chris_Teillon
Level 3
I am getting an error like permission denied when trying to view CIFS shares for a backup job.

The permissions are correct (administrator of domain on AD). I am able to view the CIFS shares with the same permissions on both a 9 and 10d server.

Someone on tech support said I needed to turn off NDMP on the NAS box?

We use a EMC box and do not have the NDMP license so it should not be working.

Any help would be great!!!
11 REPLIES 11

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

What error message you are getting in the event logs?

Regards,

PETER_SO_2
Level 3
I'm having similar problem with our EMC and another NAS device. When I tried to add the shares under "user defined", it would let me add. If I right click on it, it even give me the size of the drive. But if I expand the folder, it would give me "Failed to access servername", Access is denied. Same as Chris, Veritas 9 and 10d works fine but not 11. Any suggestions?

PETER_SO_2
Level 3
Anybody with any advie?

Chris_Teillon
Level 3
Sorry I wish I could answer. However I rebuilt the server and installed 10d on it as phone support had no clue what they were doing.

However I am unable to access my NETapp filer with the same issue as above, but it doesn matter as the live data is on the 2 EMC NAS we have in house.

PETER_SO_2
Level 3
As I'm typing this, I'm removing 11d and install 10d as well.

Patterson_Cake
Not applicable
We're having the same problem - any input from symantec would be fantastic.

swise13
Level 2
I am having the same problem trying to back up CIFS shares on an EMC NAS box.  Unfortunately I can't roll back to 10 because the autoloader I am using is not supported.  This issue needs to be fixed.  What happened to Veritas when Symantec took over, support is essentially non-existant?

Stephen_Cunning
Level 4
Any resolution?  We're having the same problem.  Everything else works fine, except backing up the NAS.  I've read that 10d is suppose to work but we can't even get that to find the robotic library.

Moderators?  Employees??

SteveVRTS
Level 6
Employee
The information that the thread starter got from support was correct.  Backup Exec 11d is different than 9.x and 10.x when working with these NAS/Netapp machines.  It may very well have worked fine with versions 9.x or 10.x, but to get it working correctly with 11d you have to diable NDMP on that machine.

Stephen_Cunning
Level 4
Steve, our EMC-NAS does not have NDMP on it, so the problem has to lie elsewhere.  We can set it up no problem and even tested a backup that seemed to work fine.  It's just the EMC-NAS it won't hit.  What was changed from 10 to 11 that would not allow this to happen?

SteveVRTS
Level 6
Employee
I'd really suggest that you double check to see if that EMC box has NDMP enabled.  Most of the EMC NAS boxes that I've dealt with have NDMP enabled.  Just to make this more clear.  The backup of the EMC NAS box would have probably worked fine with NDMP enabled with BE 10.x.  However, it will not work with NDMP enabled in 11d.