cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post command problem: Final error: 0x4 - The system cannot open the file.

William_Jens
Level 3
I get the following error when I try to include a post processing command.

Error: Could not start Post Job Command < c:\windows\system32\cscript.exe d:\BackupXfer\BackupXfer.vbs bohr >. Error (5): Access is denied.

I'm running this command on the media server that performed the backup. I've successfully used post processing commands in the past to shutdown/restart AV software on the servers being backed up, but trying to run a VBS on the media server just doesn't work. What permissions does BE use when running a post processing command on the media server?
8 REPLIES 8

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Document:

When using VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for Windows Servers pre/post commands, the post command will run immediately after backup completion, and before the verify is run. If no verify is set to run, the post job command also fails. ]

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/263570.htm

Veritas Backup Exec is unable to run scripts on a remote UNIX server because the Pre and Post command fields are specifically designed for use with Windows operations.

Kindly refer the following technote,

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/245844.htm

Thank You.

Shweta

William_Jens
Level 3
I turned Verify on, but that didn't help. It looks like BE is trying to run my post command, but there might be a permissions problem. However I don't understand why or how to fix it.

The BE job is doing a backup of a remote server and then it is supposed to run a VBS script on the BE media server after the backup completes. The backup runs OK, but when it tries to run my post command I get the following:

Job ended: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 at 1:09:58 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0x4 - The system cannot open the file.

Final error category: Other Errors

Backup - BOHR
Error: Could not start Post Job Command < C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe d:\BackupXfer\BackupXfer.vbs bohr >. Error (5): Access is denied.

I am not trying to run a script on the server being backed up, but instead running it on the server performing the backup (W2K3). The script will be used to zip/encrypt my backup files and ftp them to offsite storage. Also, I've updated the script to immediately exit to make sure it wasn't related to commands within the script. Either way I get the same results.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

What are the errors logged in the event logs?

Thank you,

William_Jens
Level 3
The application event log has the following:

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "LINNAEUS") (Job: "Backup 0067") Backup 0067 -- The job failed with the following error: The system cannot open the file.

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

----

Backup Exec gives the following alert:

Backup 0067 -- The job failed with the following error: The system cannot open the file.

----

The job log gives the following:

- Job Completion Status
Job ended: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 at 1:19:56 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0x4 - The system cannot open the file.

Final error category: Other Errors

- Errors
Backup - BOHR
Error: Could not start Post Job Command < C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe d:\BackupXfer\BackupXfer.vbs bohr >. Error (5): Access is denied.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi William,

The only 3 types of commands that you can run in Backup Exec is .bat ,.exe and cmd. You cannot run VBS scripts. Also u cannot execute a .exe file in a .bat file.

William_Jens
Level 3
But I'm actually running an EXE - cscript.exe with the VBS as an argument. Are you saying that BE checks my command line arguements as well? That doesn't seem right. From the error it looks like a permissions issue.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Run the sgmon before running the backup job.

How to create SGMON.LOG
<<>>

regards,

William_Jens
Level 3
I think I found the problem. It looks like the BE job is using the credentials used to backup the remote machine to run the pre/post commands on the local media server. I needed to give those remote credentials access to the media server. I don't know if that's correct, but at least it now works.