cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerVault 122T Service error

Level 2
We have just installed a Dell PowerVault 122T LTO2 in our Dell Server, along with Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 dev.4691. Our issue occurs when we started up Backupexec and selected to use the veritas drives, it installed the tape drive fine. However, after a restart and starting up Veritas, within a few seconds all of the veritas services started to shut down. The system log just says service stopping. Is this possibly a compatibility issue? Please Help
6 REPLIES 6

Level 2
I should add that we are interfacing with the Adaptec Perc2 card. We have found an event in the event log with event id: 7026. This could be a part of our problem

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
I use a 114T LTO2 Powervault and have also those events but they do not interfere with BE or Windows, I simply ignore those events. This is what Veritas has to say about it, http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268380.htm

What I did find was that BE drivers do not work with the 114T, I have to use the supplied DELL drivers otherwise all backups will fail.

Regards
A van der Boom

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Check this for the event ID that you have:

Title : How to resolve when the 4mm tape driver for the DEC TLZ06 tape unit failed to start
http://support.veritas.com/docs/191141

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.

Alan_Foley
Level 4
I have a Dell PE-6600 runing with this type of tape unit and the same version of BE 9.1. It is not advisable to run this device via a RAID interface. Do you have a APDU-160M interface available? IF so you should get the newest drivers from the Dell website for both the interface and the tape unit. Reconfigure the sytem if the other interface is available, update the driver "WITHOUT" the tape drive connected, go thru the reboot cycle and reconnect the tape drive to the interface. Reconfigure the BE software with the SP2 patch and the newest drivers for BE (option 45). I was able to get mine working with minmum errors, an occasional "barcode read error", still hunting for that answer. You can also check on the "Dell support forums" for additional info.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please revert with the update if the problem perisists.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.

John_DeWeese
Level 2
I tried hooking one up to a perc 2 card as well. However, these drives apparently don't like raid scsi cards. You may need to get a non raid u160 scsi card like a 29160 or 39160, that is what we had to do. We also had to throttle down the throughput on the card to less than u160 before it would work properly