cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre Command not started after upgrade to 5520 SP2

Holger_Isenberg
Level 4
I suspect just a minor new configuration issue which I may have overlooked:

The pre command on RALUS backup jobs is not started anymore after upgrading BE server 10.0.5520 with Service Pack 2. An upgrade of RALUS 10.0.5520 to Hotfix 27 did not change anything on that issue.

The post command executes as before. The pre and post command for non-RALUS jobs works, too.

The given error message is: "Fehler (5): Zugriff verweigert." (Error 5: access denied), further information on V-79-57344-33233. The same error is given if a wrong filename for the pre command is entered. The same script entered as post command works. For testing purposes a simple one line batch file was used with this content: set > c:\test.log

An analysis of the logs given with SGMON.exe shows nothing unusual, except that the name of the pre command can not be found, only the name of the post command.

Any further idea or suggestions for debugging?null
14 REPLIES 14

aravind_kondapa
Level 6
Change the Remote Agent for Windows Servers service to run using the "Local System Account". And then restart the services.

NOTE: If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Holger_Isenberg
Level 4
The service "Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers" alreads runs under account "Local System". All other BE services run as domain administrator.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Add the root user to the local admin group and verify results.

Thanks

Holger_Isenberg
Level 4
Do you mean adding a pseudo-user "root" on the Windows Server? RALUS runs on a Linux server with user authentication independent from that Windows Server.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Yeah,create a local account called root and assign it to the local administrators group.

Local account will mirror the root account and enable the script to run.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Holger,

Are you using .exe files in the script. If yes then Linux does nto have any .exe files.

Refer to this document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253162

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Holger_Isenberg
Level 4
I guess the configuration I use might have been misunderstood.

The pre- and post-commands for RALUS-jobs are scripts started on the local media server on Windows as .bat-files. These .bat-files then call via ssh other scripts on the Linux server where RALUS is installed.

Now I read that RALUS on Linux supports running scripts, too. Does that mean I can start remote scripts as pre- and post-commands on Linux as written on http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4426306詂 ?

Holger_Isenberg
Level 4
Creating a "root" user in the local admin group on Windows was not successful in solving the problem.

Furthermore, this test was done:
When changing the user used for the BE Remote Service from System-Account to local admin or "root" another error message appeared for the post command only: (1314) no sufficient client permission. Note, that the error message (5) for the pre command did not change. Also note that the same error 5 is shown if a wrong file name is given as script. A wrong file name set for the post command shows the expected error of "missing file" or similar.

Holger_Isenberg
Level 4
Problem solved!

A contribution to the problem might have been the migration towards Active Directory from an NT4 domain controller. However, that was done weeks before upgrading to BE SP2 and there wasn't any problem with the old BE with Active Directory.

Now the solution:
As tejashree wrote, a Windows account with the same username as the Unix account used to connect to RALUS is needed. The same password has to be given to the Windows and Unix account and the Windows account needs to be member of the local administrator group.

The reason I was wondering about the "root" account on Windows: I do not use root to connect to RALUS. For security reasons a normal user account was created on Linux as member of the group "beoper" and that account used to connect from BE server.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Holger,

Pre and Post commands cannot be executed on the remote Linux server. This configuration os not supported in Backup Exec.

Refer to this document for more information:

Is it possible to use the Pre and Post command options to run a script on a remote UNIX server?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/245844

==================

Holger_Isenberg
Level 4
double posting removedMessage was edited by:
Holger Isenberg

Holger_Isenberg
Level 4
double posting removedMessage was edited by:
Holger Isenberg

Holger_Isenberg
Level 4
Rucha, yes I know and that's why I use my own workaround for that:

The pre and post commands are selected to be run "on the local media server". Those commands then use a ssh-connection completely independent from Veritas to start a script on the Linux server of the selected job.

For those who want to build something similar: I use the environment variable %BE_JOB_NAME% to read the hostname of the remote host and then use ssh with private/public key authentication.

Holger_Isenberg
Level 4
Strange, I got a notification by mail about a change on this thread and wasn't able to view the change until I replied with a test message. Mayb caused by different URLs for the forum? The mail says http://forums.veritas.com and the link via veritas.com is http://forum.symantec.comMessage was edited by:
Holger Isenberg