cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-backing up data in remote location

dtd646646
Level 2

I have a remote location with a very slow internet connection.  I would like to copy all the data to an HD, then bring it back with me to my main location to use as my initial Full backup.  Then, I plan on doing either incrementals or differentials weekly of the remote data to my main site.  What is the easiest way to accomplish this?  I was thinking I may have to trick the backup software by adding a server with the same name as the remote server, transfer the data into that server, backup that local server, then attempt to do an incremental backup of the remote server.  Seems like there should be an easier way but I am not familier with a good method.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot do seeding in BE for backups.

If you are using a dedup, then you can seed the dedup folder with a backup of the remote server.  However, inspite of this seeding of the dedup folder, you should still need to do the full backup before doing incremental/differential backups.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot do seeding in BE for backups.

If you are using a dedup, then you can seed the dedup folder with a backup of the remote server.  However, inspite of this seeding of the dedup folder, you should still need to do the full backup before doing incremental/differential backups.

dtd646646
Level 2

Ouch..no way to do seeding at all huh?  I guess I can use robocopy then to do the incremental backups between the sites then use backup exec to back it up to tape..  Thanks for your info.  If anyone knows of a way to seed a backup would be great to know!