cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Managing Devices

Matt_Vaughan
Level 4
I have two stand-alone LTO drives and one LTO library.  I have a drive pool created that consists of all three.  My backup jobs are configured to use this pool.  My problem is that if I do not have tapes in the standalone drives, all my jobs get hung up.  In other words, the jobs wait for media to be inserted into those standalone drives when I have 15 tapes in the tape library.  Why won't Backup Exec just queue up the jobs for my tape library which has all the tapes?  Also, all jobs halt while they wait for a "response" even though my tape library isn't even in use?!  Why can't Backup Exec be smart enough to see tapes in my library and use those for my backup jobs?

4 REPLIES 4

Alexander_Papad
Level 4
Partner Certified
Have you try to set different priority from each drive in the pool?

David_Bond
Level 5
Don't know if this is the same but I have a problem also with it waiting. I have a tape library with 2 drives and at the moment 24 tapes, If a response is needed for 1 of the tape drives, such as, should backup exec overwrite this tape, everything else waits for me to click on an answer, even when there is a free drive and they don't need a responce, as they start when i and replied to the other request.

David

Matt_Vaughan
Level 4

@Alexander Papadopoulos wrote:
Have you try to set different priority from each drive in the pool?

No, because I don't believe setting a priority will do anything for me.

I don't know why BE would be waiting for me to put in a tape in an empty standalone drive, when it should just queue the job for the tape library.

Matt_Vaughan
Level 4

@David Bond wrote:
Don't know if this is the same but I have a problem also with it waiting. I have a tape library with 2 drives and at the moment 24 tapes, If a response is needed for 1 of the tape drives, such as, should backup exec overwrite this tape, everything else waits for me to click on an answer, even when there is a free drive and they don't need a responce, as they start when i and replied to the other request.

David

Yes, I'm seeing the same behavior as well.