cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem recovering system using IDR on Windows Server 2003

John_Polis
Level 3
I created an IDR Bootable CD and Recorvery Diskettes as per the instructions in the user guide.

Today, I needed to recover my system which is running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.

I started the process to boot from floppy and followed directions as instructed pressing F2 to start ASR. ASR then proceeded to format the C: drive as expected. At the end of the process I received the following error:

"Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition Setup
----------------------------------------------------------
Setup encountered the following error while processing the ASR state file asr.sif:

Invalid record in section: PARTITIONS

Please check that the correct floppy is in the drive and that the ASR state file has not been modified since its creation.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3"

I need help. How can I recover my system??? What could I have done differently so I could have tested for this situation before attempting to restore my system?

Can someone please help!!!!
5 REPLIES 5

Nimai_Sood
Level 3
Hi,

Thank your for posting your query,

Final Error Description: "Setup encountered the following error while processing the ASR state file asr.sif:
Invalid record in section: PARTITIONS"

This problem occurs because the computer tries to start from the hard disk instead of from the CD-ROM. During the text mode part of the Setup program, ASR runs the Autochk.exe tool on the system and boot volumes. If the Autochk.exe tool finds orphaned security descriptors, the security descriptors are removed, and the computer restarts.
For More information Please follow these technotes..
Document ID: 268791
http://support.veritas.com/docs/268791
Document ID: 269741
http://support.veritas.com/docs/269741
Document ID: 262134
http://support.veritas.com/docs/262134

We hope this information helps, if you have any other questions please respond to the post and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Regards

John_Polis
Level 3
Thanks for the response but the problem is not that the
the computer is trrying to start from the hard disk instead of from the CD-ROM. It is running from CD Rom and it does start up the Veritas IDR recovery process as the opening screen is specifically titled "Backup Exec Intelligent Disaster Recorvery for Windows".

The CD was created through the Wizard process as were the ASR floppies. Right now I have a bootable CD created using backup exec, 2 ASR floppies created using backup exec, and a full backup of my system created using backup exec.

How do I restore my system given that the IDR recovery is not working? Oh, I forgot to mention that the beginning of the recovery process formatted my C drive so getting any info off of it is not an option.

Help!!!!!!

John_Polis
Level 3
Here is another piece of information....the Bootable CD contains an "asr.sif" file as do both diskettes. Everytime I do a full backup I run backup exec IDR wizard to update diskettes.

I still can't figure out why I am getting the PARTITIONS error and most importantly, what to do to recover.

John_Polis
Level 3
I couldn't wait for help any longer so here is what I did:

1.) I re-installed base Windows Server 2003 from the installation CD.
2.) After the base installation was completed I verified that my partitions were configured properly.
3.) I then begain the IDR recovery process again and the system restored properly.

I still don't know why IDR would not work without my jumping through hoops.

John_Polis
Level 3
I never received any kind of response as to what Veritas recommended me to do so I am closing this out.