cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem restoring data with Backup Exec 2010 R2

Kronax
Level 3

Hi,

We are currently experiencing problems restoring data from some of our backup tapes and I'm hoping someone may be able to provide some assistance.

Currently we backup all our servers to disk using Veeam Backup & Replication 5.0. This dumps all of the data into a single VBK file.

Once we have the VBK file this is backed up to tape using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2. The backup takes 3 LTO4 tapes.

I recently tried to restore one of these VBK files from tape. I inventoried and catalogued all 3 tapes and then set the job running. All appears to be working fine until it gets to the second tape, the job will ask for it but when it tries to load it the backup fails with an unknown error.

This is happening on our main backup server which is a Windows 2008 R2 64 bit server running 64bit version of backup exec.

We have a second backup server which is running Windows 2003 R2 32 bit and 32 bit version of backup exec. When I try to use this for the restore job using the same drive and tapes, the whole job completes without issue.

The main differences I can see between these 2 servers is the OS and that one Backup exec version is 32 bit and the other is 64 bit. The only other difference in the restore job is that on the main backup server I am trying to restore to a local drive. When I run the job on the second backup server I am trying to restore to a shared drive on the main backup server.

I'm very confused as to why this will work on one server but not the other. Any help in troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kronax
Level 3

Finally managed to get this working although I am still not 100% sure what the problem was. In the end I re-installed Backup Exec and pointed it to an SQL database on a serperate server. After doing this the restore job ran fine.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

tech29
Level 6

Hi,

Can you post the exact error message you are getting?

Regards,

tech29

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Uncheck the option Use Storage Media Based Catalogs and then try the restore operation.

Also do you have enough space in the local disk to hold the restore data?

Regards...

Kronax
Level 3

I've tried Unchecking the Use Storage Media Based Catalogs option but it made no difference. Also tried all the steps in this article

http://98.129.119.162/connect/de/articles/completing-troublesome-restore-catalog-jobs-backup-exec

There is plenty of drive space available. Errors listed below:

Job ended: 20 April 2011 at 08:48:00
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred.
Final error category: System Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34036
Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Restore- \\GTLONSCBU\F: New Volume
An unknown error occurred on device "HP 0003".
V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

Kronax
Level 3

Just been going through the event logs. When the restore starts its using the virtual disk service. This starts fine and continues to run but when it first starts up I am getting some errors:

Error - VDS Basic Provider - Event ID 1

Unexpected failure. Error code: 490@01010004

Not sure if this is related

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

@kronax,

You said you have one more media server and the restore by uding that media server si working without any issues. Is the second media server also using the same tape device or a different one?

Regards...

Kronax
Level 3

Using the same drive. I unplugged in from the first server and connected it to the second. I have also verified that both servers are using the same drivers for the tape drive.

tech29
Level 6

HI create a new catalog folder on the server where restore fails and then recatalog the tape and try the restore one more time

You may refer to follwing link for this :

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH29603

Regards,

tech29

Kronax
Level 3

Thanks but I have also already tried that. I've tried this with several different backup sets. All of them work on the 2003 server and all of them fail on the 2008.

tech29
Level 6

Have you tried restoring some other data or backing up few data on the win 2008 server? do they complete successfully or they fail with the same error?

Regards,

tech29

Kronax
Level 3

It seems to be fine if it is just on one tape. I have not tried different data accross multiple tapes.

Kronax
Level 3

OK I have now tried it with a different set of data accross 2 tapes and this has restored without error. The only other change I made was to disable all other backup drives attached to this server before running the restore job. Going to try the same thing with the original set of tapes.

Kronax
Level 3

OK so I went back to the original tapes again and yet again the restore failed when trying to load the 2nd tape.

Does anyone have any ideas on this at all? These tapes work fine on a different server.

Kronax
Level 3

Finally managed to get this working although I am still not 100% sure what the problem was. In the end I re-installed Backup Exec and pointed it to an SQL database on a serperate server. After doing this the restore job ran fine.