cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with restoring a mailaccount!!

Sam_Schinkel
Level 3

Hello,

I have a problem. We use exchange 2003 on a windows server 2003 server. 
We use Backup Exec for the backup. 

This week, i needed to restore a agenda from one of our users. But when i looked in the backup, and looked into the mailstore on de backup tape, the user was not in there. All other users are in de store on the tape, but this user was not.
We backup the whole mailstore. So the user should be in there.

When i look in to the Exchange system mananger, and open the mailboxstore, i do see the user. This user also can mail and recieve, and has no problems with exchange.

Can anybody help me with this problem?

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Duplicate the backup job to the disk and see if you are able to see the User in the restore selection.

When you run the backup to tape, the catalog infromation is written to tape using MAPI , so if it mailbox is not visible then its some issue with MAPI . I beleive once you duplicate the job to disk you shoul be able to see the missing mailbox and then preform the restore.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

We will first check if BE sees that user or not. As it is exchange 2003

Please click on tools - options - microsoft exchange and enable legacy mailboxex.

Now open the selection list and you will see a new icon "microsoft exchange mailbox" which will show the individuall mailbox. Please check if you see that user there.

If you still don't see that user there then it might be some special permission on that user. If you still see that user there and not getting backed up then try what RahulG said.

Note: Make sure you uncheck the legacy option after doing this check

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

When doing a GRT backup to tape, you need to duplicate to disk in order to restore individual items. THis is a requirement in the Admin Guide.

Furthermore, AOFO shouldn't be used at all when backing up databases. If this is turned on, you need to turn it off.

If you don't know how to do the restore, read the article below...it will help run you through the steps...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-usi...

Craig

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Any news?