cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Restoring a Mail Store

MadMax949
Level 3
Hey guys, Gals,
I have had a need to restore someones mail box, I'm running Backup Exec 10.1d on MS exchange 2003. They didn't want me to backup peoples mail boxes as I would get errors stating that they are open, in use and so on, so I am backing up the mail store and log files.
A person just trashed 3 years worth of email and wants it back... I created a RSG (Recovery Storage Group) and added the mail box data base...
When I kick off the restore it works but I don't see the guys mail. Whats wrong or am I looking in the the wrong place..??
Thanks!
Max
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MadMax949
Level 3
While trying a few things and running the cmd in exchange, I thought I would run it from the dos prompt.  I ran the following line:
escutil /cc "d:\temp\first storage group" /t
(From exchserv\BIN) it has to be ran from with in the Bin folder and it has to be with in brackets or it will not pickup the RSG and the restore values placed in the Mail files restore paths..
I thank you for your help and ideas.
I got the mail file restored call is now closed.! Thanks Ben.. and all !!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
After you restore the data to the RSG you have to pull the data out of it using ExMerge.  Exmerge will allow you to either put the data back into the users mailbox or export it to a pst.  Check your Exchange documentation from Microsoft on how to use Exmerge to extract data from the RSG.

MadMax949
Level 3
Hey Ben, Yes I read the doc from the Veritas web site and followed it to the T, at the end I used the ExMerge when I got the Mail Store restored, I got a dialog box pop-up and it had the peoples names in it figuring it was the mailboxes, so it looked good, but when I tried to extract the mail file, or pst file it came up as 'No data present. '

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Interesting, do you have another backup you can restore from to see if it's just that backup that might be missing the data?  Just about everytime I've run across an issue like that it was because they data wasn't in the backup, the few exceptions were because of a currupt store that Microsoft was able to resolve.

MadMax949
Level 3
While trying a few things and running the cmd in exchange, I thought I would run it from the dos prompt.  I ran the following line:
escutil /cc "d:\temp\first storage group" /t
(From exchserv\BIN) it has to be ran from with in the Bin folder and it has to be with in brackets or it will not pickup the RSG and the restore values placed in the Mail files restore paths..
I thank you for your help and ideas.
I got the mail file restored call is now closed.! Thanks Ben.. and all !!