cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with the Intelligent Disaster Recovery Option Installation

ejdrijin
Level 4

Hi,

Lately I have problems with the Intelligent Disaster Recovery Option Installation. When I go to Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server the check box for the IDR Option is checked but the Wizard for IDR is still greyed out. Also when I try to uninstall it, still it is not uninstalled, it says succesful but nithing happened (I use also tried from the Backup Exec DVD Media).

When I checked from the beutility.exe what I have installed it marks the following for the IDR option:

License: Yes    Installed: No

Can anyone tell what could be the problem?

Thanks very much,

Adrian.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do ensure IDR is enabled from the registry as well.

HKLM - Software - Symantec - Backup Exec for Windows - Backup Exec - Engine - Misc & the value of "Disaster Recovery Installed" should be set to 1.

Sometimes, when this value is not set to 1, you may receive authentication error similar to the one above as well or the IDR option is greyed out.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

lmosla
Level 6

Hello, what version of Backup Exec are you using? Have you tried a repair from Add/Remove programs?  Is this a new install? If it is, try downloading the software again and make sure you download the large install file not the 4 or 5 seperate install files.

ejdrijin
Level 4

Hi Imosla,

I am using Backup Exec 2010 R3.

I did a repair and the IDR Wizard is not greyed out anymore. However the IDR is not listed in the Tools>Options. Is this normal? Or is it I need to create something from the wizard for this option?

Thanks & Regards,

A

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  Under Tools ---> Options ---->  Settings, you should see Intelligent Disaster Recovery.  When you click on this you should be able to set the data path for the .dr file and the alternate path.

ejdrijin
Level 4

No luck. There is nothing under settings.

What could be the problem? But the wizard is now available.

Thanks for your reply.

lmosla
Level 6

Have you followed the steps in this document for IDR?  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130649 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The only thing that you want with the IDR global settings is to be able to set the alternate path to store a second copy of the .dr file.

You might still get the .dr file in the primary path which is C:\symantec\backup exec\data\idr

Run a job and see whether you get the message in the joblog saying that the .dr file is created and you can find the .dr file in the primary path.

ejdrijin1
Level 3

Thanks for your reply.

I did not find any .dr in the data folder and neither did I find in the joblog something related to the .dr file.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks & Regards.

ejdrijin1
Level 3

Imosla when I try to do the wizard it says: 'Unable to find Backup Exec Installation on Server. Ensure that the proper credentials.......'

and I am sure it is authenticating in a good way as it will tell you incorrect password if you enter a bad password.

Thanks & Regards,

Adrian

lmosla
Level 6

even though it looks like its authenticating correctly, try the entering the local Administrator account credentials to run the IDR Wizard

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH160047 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Probably the IDR option is not properly turned on.  You might want to consider re-installing BE if IDR is important.  First, stop all the BE services,  go to the BE installation directory and use BEUtility to dump the BEDB, and make a copy of the Data and Catalogs directories under the BE installation directory.

ejdrijin
Level 4
Thanks for your advice. So by taking a copy of the Data and Catalogs directories under the BE installation directory is enough to backup all your settings? Then when it is re installed you just copy the saved folders and overwrite them on the new ones, right? Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In your new installation, stop all the BE services, replace the two directories and then startup the BE services again.

VJware
Level 6

Do ensure IDR is enabled from the registry as well.

HKLM - Software - Symantec - Backup Exec for Windows - Backup Exec - Engine - Misc & the value of "Disaster Recovery Installed" should be set to 1.

Sometimes, when this value is not set to 1, you may receive authentication error similar to the one above as well or the IDR option is greyed out.

ejdrijin
Level 4

Thanks. This solved my issue.

ejdrijin
Level 4

I am now encountering a problem when I am in the IDR Wizard. The error is attached with this post. When I try to install the component from Symantec Backup Exec DVD\BE\WinNT\Install\WIM nothing happens.

DO you know what could be the problem? Could it be related to registery changes also?

Thanks and Regards.

VJware
Level 6

Is Windows Imaging showing as installed under Add/Remove programs ? (If using Windows 2008 R2, then it would not show up under Programs and Features)

If not, try running the installer again from the Backup Exec DVD using Administrative rights, else try to download the DVD or just WIM installer from the MS site to rule out any installer corruption issues.

ejdrijin
Level 4

WIM or WIC?

ejdrijin
Level 4

On our test environment (which is virtualized, unlike our live environment) there is no Windows Imaging installed (as it is not seen in the Programs and Features) and there will be no error poping up during the IDR Wizard. The wizard will complete successfully. Does it make a difference that one is a virtualized environment and the other environment contains physical servers?

I have installed the WIM on a server and still the same error is being popped up. Could it be somthing else?

Thanks and regards.

VJware
Level 6

Would you confirm the presence of these drivers ~

wimfltr.sys

wimmount.sys

If these drivers are not present, try installing Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK), else if these drivers are indeed present, try uninstalling and reinstalling the IDR option itself.