cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Procedure to Upgrade to Backup Exec 2014 from Backup Exec 2012

Wajeeh
Level 4

Dear All,

Presently we are running BE 2012 with SP4 and I do have active maitenance contract with Symantec, I received email from Symantec few months back that BE 2014 is out and now its SP1 is also available.

I've downloaded the new version along with .slf license keys and willing to perform the upgrade but unable to get guidence of the process step by step because I don't want to be in situation stuck in middle during upgrade, its failing not done completely, it will be a problem then.

When having active contract can a suppor staff help directly for the upgradation process.

Waiting for valuable inputs on this.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The upgrade process is rather simple.

1) Just make a copy of the Data and Catalog directories under the BE installation directory.  This is in case you need to revert.

2) Run the BE 2014 installation DVD and you would be guided through the upgrade process. You would need to reboot your server after the update is done.

3) Run LiveUpdate a couple of times until it says that there is no more updates.

4) Push out the remote agents to your servers. You would need to reboot your remote servers.

Since you have a current maintenance contract, you can definitely contact Symantec tech support if you have a problem during the upgrade.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Arnie3
Level 3

I did it too with backup exec 2012 licensed but all agents expired.  The migration went smoothly but after the reboot the services won't run, according to support, it's because the agents are expired.  The windows restored didn't work well so I think I will stop doing windows backup on my backup server, so I have to reinstall everything from scratch but since I have a disk storage the catalog run quickly.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The upgrade process is rather simple.

1) Just make a copy of the Data and Catalog directories under the BE installation directory.  This is in case you need to revert.

2) Run the BE 2014 installation DVD and you would be guided through the upgrade process. You would need to reboot your server after the update is done.

3) Run LiveUpdate a couple of times until it says that there is no more updates.

4) Push out the remote agents to your servers. You would need to reboot your remote servers.

Since you have a current maintenance contract, you can definitely contact Symantec tech support if you have a problem during the upgrade.

Wajeeh
Level 4

Hello Pkh,

I was planning to start the upgrade but when I ran environmental check before proceeding for BE 2014 installation, it gave me yellow mark for tape 'Tape Device Information', going in to more details it tells me

"One or more devices on this computer are either not connected or not working"

After seeing this I am not confident to proceed, although in HCL software I found on page 89.

Any suggestions ?

Steve-Young
Level 6
Employee

You may have hidden tape devices in Windows that its detecting.  Possible older tape devices that were attached to the system at one point or ghost tape devices.

You can run \backup exec\tapeinst.exe  

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH17931

Run thru the setting in the 3rd screenshot in the above technote.

When you get to the Detected devices you should see details about exist tape devices (Screen shot 4).  You may see entries for devices that dont exist.  Continue the wizard and have it remove tape device that may not exist.

Arnie3
Level 3

yes that fixed the problem, thanks!!!