Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project: BE2010 R3 with CASO & SAN Option

nofear
Not applicable

Hello,

we have a project to develop and introduce. Looks like this:

We have two sites. We have a 1 gigabit dark fibre connection between these two sites. Our plan is to install 3 BE Servers (every Server about 4TB HDDs) on every site. On an extra VM Server the Central Admin Option should be installed. On both sides should be one FC Library with 4 Tape Drives.

Our plan is to do backups first on harddisk and then take a copy of the backup over dark fiber onto the tape library (at the other site).

Is this scenario possible? Will this work?

Do we need FC Controller in every BE Server?

Do we need the SAN Option for every BE Server?

Any Idea or Comment would be great.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

CASO on a VM is a decent-enough option, and you'd simply add the site media servers to the CASO, and either replicate (keep copies on CASO and the MMS) the data, or centralise it on the CASO. This allows job delegation etc.

The ONLY issue I can see here is that the site media servers will need to be zoned to see the tape library, and you'd need an extended SAN for this to happen. If they are unaware of the SAN on the FC site, then I don't see it working.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

CASO on a VM is a decent-enough option, and you'd simply add the site media servers to the CASO, and either replicate (keep copies on CASO and the MMS) the data, or centralise it on the CASO. This allows job delegation etc.

The ONLY issue I can see here is that the site media servers will need to be zoned to see the tape library, and you'd need an extended SAN for this to happen. If they are unaware of the SAN on the FC site, then I don't see it working.

Thanks!

teiva-boy
Level 6
1gb fiber for tape is not enough. Your proposed architecture will fail. Direct attach the tape libraries or use local Fc switches with proper zoning.