cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protecting MMS / Remote Dedupe stores

kevin_golding
Level 3
Does anyone have any suggestions for pretecting an MMS server?  I have a dedupe store on an MMS, and want to have a way to restore the data in the event of a DR.  Normally, we would suggest using a CASO with a centralised SQL DB for the Jobs and Media, however, the WAN link can be troublesome and if it fails, the MMS is going to be pretty unusable.   
One last suggestion I had was to have a set of jobs on the CAS to backup the same selection lists as the MMS.
I just wondered is there a way to have a distributed SQLDB, or distributed DEDUPE store?
Any suggestions/documents would be appreciated..
4 REPLIES 4

teiva-boy
Level 6
You can backup the Dedupe database and dedupe folder in BE today!  Just dont do it like you think...

Expand out the MMS, then the system components/system state, and somewhere under there, you'll be able backup both the Db and folder.

It must be done this way, so that a special VSS driver pauses the dedupe db, and backs up the files without rehydrating them to tape.

kevin_golding
Level 3
Thanks for the reply, that would work very well, and I suppose I could back them up to a backup to disk folder across the WAN just as easily?

But what about the Jobs and Media.  If I backup the dedupe store, how can I get the data that is backed up in there out in the event of a disaster, or my MMS melting?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
As you have an MMS you could try setting up optimized dedup so that the dedup data on the MMS is copied to either the CAS or another MMS - this might have problems if your WAN links are iffy though

kevin_golding
Level 3
I take it by optimized job you mean a duplicate backup jobs template?  The problem with this is, if the MMS goes down, then the database will also be lost.  would a backup of the MMS system state and SQL Database be required?