cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Push-Install Backup Exec Server Failing

IPG
Level 4

Hi all,

I have a CAS server I'm trying to use to push out a copy of backup exec to another computer in a different domain and no matter what I do I get "Error connecting to the remote computer.  Ensure that the computer is available, has WMI enabled, and is not blocked by a firewall. 14".

I have tried:

• Turning off the firewall on the remote server
  • Checking WMI is enabled (I can connect to the WMI from the CAS server via WMI Management MMC)
  • Push-Installing as the CAS domain's Administrator
  • Push-Installing as the remote server's domain's Administrator
  • Updating both BE2012 to the latest patches
  • Installing all windows updates
  • Installed BE2012 on the remote server as a standalone, then tried to add it via beutility on the CAS server but it can't detect it as a Backup Exec Server

It should also be noted I can connect using the Backup Exec Console to the remote server's copy of Backup Exec no problems.

What am I doing wrong?!?!?!

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

In BE 2012 have seen issue pushing out remote agent to different domain so I guess you look to have same issue here were you are pushing the backup exec install to different domain. The solution there is to install locally so in your case I guess you would have to install it locally

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH198173

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

OK, so I assume you don't have a trust between the domains? If you do, this becomes easy...you put your BESA account into the Domain Admins Group in the remote domain, and use that account for the BE services on the remote media server. I've done it this way before but we had a trust between the company's 2 domains (1 in Africa/South Africa and 1 in Asia).

If you don't have a trust, then it can become a lot more tricky. You'd need an account in the remote domain with all the necessary admin rights to backup whatever is there (Domain Admin, Exchange, SQL etc). Add this into your CASO and when you push-install (or even locally install) you'd use this account.

You might also need to edit the hosts file on both servers so that they can resolve each other manually!

Thanks!

IPG
Level 4

Hey CraigV,

I do have a trust between the domains.  The BESA account is an Enterprise Admin, not a Domain Admin (as you can't really add loca domain accounts to remote domain's Domain Admins group).  Does this make a difference?

I have the DNS suffixes of each domain as search domains, but I also added the names into the hosts file on each machine as you suggested and I still get the same error.

Not sure if this is related, but when I click 'Browse Remote Computers' in BE, only my local domain appears - not the remote one?

Any other suggestions would be awesome...

Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Enterprise Admins is more than perfect!

Try adding that domain in and see if it makes any difference.

IPG
Level 4

Hey CraigV,

How do I add another domain to BE2012?  I can't find it anywhere.

Cheers

IPG

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

As said in the earlier post there are issue with push install of Backup Exec in cross domain ,I would recommend you to open a case for symantec at this moment to further investigate this

Thanks