cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QNAP to tape drive backup

Vengeful_Bunny
Level 3

Hi,

I'm trying to backup shared folders on my QNAP TS-459 Pro ii to LTO tape with Symantec Backup Exec 2014.

I can browse to the folder and see the files in SBE and from Windows Explorer with admin credentials supplied, but the test and backup job keep failing with:

Remote Agent not detected on marnas1.marriott.local. The logon account that was provided does not have valid credentials. Ensure that the user name and password are correct, and then try again.

This NAS runs Samba OS, so RAWS won't work. Can't get Linux agent to work either.

No NDMP options on the NAS.

Is it possible to actually backup from this NAS to Tape or am I just chasing my own tail?

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Add the NAS's admin account into BE itself. Once done, use this when browsing the NAS's shares, and then try again.

You do need a RAWS agent installed and licensed on the media server from a licensing perspective as well, so be aware of that.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Did you define the BE credential as a local admin with full read/write access to the entire NAS?

Vengeful_Bunny
Level 3

It passes the credentials test to the root of the NAS, but not the shared subfolder using the NAS local admin account.

It definitely has full rights to the subfolder.

The NAS is joined to the domain and I'm using the FQDN.

I upgraded from SBE2010 R3 to SBE 2014 trial to test out this feature, could the trial be restricting it?

CraigV

...if the NAS is joined to the domain, then add the BESA onto the NAS as an admin.

Then try again.

No, the trial wouldn't restrict this.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Add the IP address of the NAS to the HOSTS file on the media server.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In addition to the above, the credentials test will not work properly since there isn't any agent on the remote server (QNAP in this case).

Secondly, CIFS level backups usually complete with this error " Remote Agent not detected....", however the data does get backed up. Have you checked the job log to verify if the data was actually  backed up or not ?

Vengeful_Bunny
Level 3

Hi pkh, how do I add a domain user as a local admin?

CraigV

...you do this on the NAS. Confirm this in the documentation provided with the NAS.

Thanks!

Vengeful_Bunny
Level 3

Ok, been battling along and just clicked that the system logon account is probably using old credentials that have to be manually updated in SBE.

There is no record of the old password.

And I can't update it without knowing the old one.

Does anyone know how I can reset it?

CraigV

...just reset the password in Active Directory, and then use BEutility to change the BESA's account password. Once done, change it on the NAS.

Thanks!

Vengeful_Bunny
Level 3

Ok, backs up if I add server for backup job as IP address instead of name.

Thank you everyone for your assistance.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This is because your DNS server does not have an entry for the NAS. If you had added the IP address of the NAS to the Hosts file of the media server, like I told you to do earlier, it would have accomplished the same thing