cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about FP2 upgrade

SymQNA
Level 5

We have 1 CAS + 40 MMS + 60 Windows agent + 10 DB backup agent + 5 linux backup agent running BE15

1. To upgrade BE15 to FP2 , if the CAS is upgraded to FP2 first but MMS still running BE15. Can backup jobs running on CAS work normally even MMS is not upgraded?

2. To upgrade BE15 to FP2 , need to reinstall the existing windows backup agent and linux backup agent?

3. To upgrade BE15 to FP2, no server restart is required?

4. Do I have to backup the DB of CAS for jobs before upgrading to FP2?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1) Yes, but you should upgrade the MMS asap 2) Yes, you need to push out the Windows remote agents after the upgrade and patch the Linux remote agents. 3) Yes, a reboot is required after the upgrade/patch 4) You should, just in case you need to revert

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1) Yes, but you should upgrade the MMS asap 2) Yes, you need to push out the Windows remote agents after the upgrade and patch the Linux remote agents. 3) Yes, a reboot is required after the upgrade/patch 4) You should, just in case you need to revert

SymQNA
Level 5

Hi  Thanks

Then if I upgraded the MMS first , then finally upgrade CAS, can the backup job running on CAS is still working normally?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. You need to upgrade the CAS first. You cannot upgrade the MMS before the CAS

SymQNA
Level 5

But we can upgrade CAS first , backup job still can run normally if MMS and agents do not upgrade?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes, but this configuration is meant to be a temporary one. You need to upgrade the MMS asap

SymQNA
Level 5

My server cannot run online update. Can follow below step to update offline? Any missing? Thanks

Place all scheduled jobs on hold on the central administration server and the
managed Backup Exec servers.Allow all active jobs to complete.

3. Stop all Backup Exec services on each managed Backup Exec server

4. Backup catalogs and data

5. Install Backup Exec 15 Feature Pack 1 revision 1180 64bit Installer - BE1180.1162RSP1_x64bit.exe

6. Install Backup Exec 15 Feature Pack 2 revision 1180 64bit Installer - BE1180.1673RSP2_x64bit.exe

7. When the upgrade is complete,communication with the managed Backup Exec servers is automatically enabled.

8. Release the hold on all the jobs.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

FPs are cumulative meaning you can directly install FP2 without installing FP1.

SymQNA
Level 5

You mean I can run Backup Exec 15 Feature Pack 2 revision 1180 64bit Installer - BE1180.1673RSP2_x64bit.exe only?

VJware
Level 6

Yes. There is no need to install FP1 first and then install FP2.

SymQNA
Level 5

Ok then exclude the step 5, the other are correct? No need to reboot CASO after ugprading to FP2, right? thanks

VJware
Level 6

As per "Upgrading an existing CASO installation" and the FP2 Release Notes, a reboot is not forced nor is mandatory. However, as a best practice, I would recommend scheduling a upgrade downtime just in case if the reboot is required.

SymQNA
Level 5

Hi Support,  refer to the link https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000075691 for  "Upgrading an existing CASO installation" , what does it mean by step 6?

Now I am running 1180.0 on CASO, shall I just run BE1180.1673RSP2_x64bit  after step 5? Thanks

SymQNA
Level 5

As I tested, if run BE1180.1673RSP2_x64bit  directly, it won't ask me to input the path of the backup exec installed. We have it installed at E drive.