cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on duplicate selections

Level 2
I'm fairly new at using this software, so sorry if this question sounds unusually simple. During a backup job, I've selected a same directory to be backed up. On another line in the Selections list, I've included the parent directory higher up and specified all sub directories and files. My question is does BackupExec back up the former directory twice (increasing the time to perform my backup)?
3 REPLIES 3

Darpan_Thaker
Level 5
We understand that you have selected the same directory twice in backup selection list. If the location of directory is different then Backup Exec will backup the directory twice.

Level 2
To clarify,

I had selected:

\\SERVER\SHARE\TEMP

I had also selected:

\\SERVER\TEMP

which is the same as the first directory.

When I catalog my tape, the folder only shows up once. Does this mean it really was only backed up once, or would Backup Exec run through both lines in my selection list and back the same directory twice, with the second overwriting first? I guess my real question is, is Backup Exec smart enough to not backup the same directory twice. Perhaps it runs through the list and figures this out before the backup job starts. Please advise...

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Since the locations of the two files mentioned are different these files will be backed up twice.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.