cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on running repair on BackExec 9.1 for Windows Server 2003

Chris_Nizzardin
Level 2
We've been receiving errors and exceptions in our backups for quite some time now. Sometimes these errors are legitimate, but other times we receive directory not found errors when the directory is there.

I'd like to try running the backexec repair feature per this article: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/253199.htm

Do any of you know if running the repair will have any adverse side effects such as losing jobs, backups, or any settings? I would assume not, but we would like to take a cautious approach on this. Thank you for reading.
5 REPLIES 5

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Chris,

A repair is "supposed" to avoid harming any settings, but you can never make a guarantee of course.

I'd more interested in whether it was likely to have any effect on your problem though.

When you say "exceptions", are you really just talking about a skipped directory? There are often reasons for this.

Please post some error logs, so we can provide more useful advice.

Chris_Nizzardin
Level 2
Sure Josh. Here are some specific errors:

Directory not found. Can not backup directory \Files\\tory_name> and its subdirectories.
This is actually \Files\Client Services\Training Department\Training Materials\

Directory not found. Can not backup directory \Files\\\屳牔楡楮杮䐠灥牡浴湥xt and its subdirectories.
This is actually \Files\Client Services\Training Department\Training Materials\

Directory not found. Can not backup directory \Files\\\潗歲ursal.htm and its subdirectories.
Right here it's looking at this directory \Files\Documentation\Working folder\CAT-ReportsSpecifications\CAT-Standalone\

Directory not found. Can not backup directory \Files\\\ to 09-02-06.xls Word 2003.doc and its subdirectories.
This one is in an employees personal network drive.

It looks like Veritas is not even reading the directory name correctly. This is one of the reasons why I think a repair would be beneficial.

In Event Viewer I get Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "GOLIATH") (Job: "Corporate - Incr") Corporate - Incr -- The job failed with the following error: The directory is invalid.

Here is what I have done. I have deleted and recreated every file in said directory, but the error persists. I have verified this files are readable and have also searched for hidden files which may be corrupted. There are none.

Also we do not receive email notifications on two of our jobs, when we had been receiving them a few months back. Unfortunately our backup infrastructure was neglected and I am just now trying to get things back on course.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
I would suggest the following:

- Ensure there are no virus scanners running on both the media server and the remote server during your backups
- Check the backup job credentials to ensure they run as a domain administrator

Chris_Nizzardin
Level 2
I disabled anti virus and verified the backups run as a domain admin, but this did not resolve the problem. I also ran the repair, still no resolution. 9.1 is outdated, we may just look into setting veritas 11.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Under what account are the Backup exec Services running?

-- Kindly run a repair installation of backup exec

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

Thank You,

Shweta