cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RALUS dies in middle of backup, fails backup

andy_robbins
Level 2

I'm using RALUS to back up our file server (RHEL 5) and every night the backup fails in the middle of this server reporting:

Unexpected end of backup set encountered on SONY 1. V-79-57344-34004 - End of data set was unexpectedly encountered. 

I believe this error is being created because the RALUS process terminates for some reason (an issue I've never been able to resolve on this system). However, I have a script that checks to see if RALUS is running once a minute and restarts the process if it has terminated. However, this doesn't keep the backup from failing. My backups are to a Media Library using a single Sony TapeDrive for AIT4 media.

Is there a setting anywhere in BUExec for Windows Servers 11D that will allow the media server to tolerate a 1 minute disconnect of the RALUS agent or will continue to try to reconnect for a while before automatically failing the job.

-Andy

7 REPLIES 7

pri3006
Level 4
Certified

Hi Andy,

Not sure whether the problem still persists. If it does, have you tried putting the RALUS in debug and checking at what point it fails. Secondly, you can also increase the logging in Backup exec so that it will give you some idea as to on which file/folder did it try to backup last. You can get this in Tools>Options>Job logs.

Regards

DKN 

Sudhir_Amin
Level 4
Employee Accredited
Are you backing up deep directory structure?

andy_robbins
Level 2

Is that an option in the Linux backup settings because I am not seeing that anywhere to know whether or not I am. I am not following symbolic links or remote mount points in my backup. I'm not using any Open File Backup options. I'm doing a Full Backup using modified time and I'm doing incrementals - but both Fulls and Incrementals are failing on the verifiy only.

I have set RALUS into debug mode as suggested by the previous poster, but I haven't really turned up anything yet.

pri3006
Level 4
Certified

Hi Andy,

There is no option in the the backup settings that will tell you about the deep directory structure. I think the backups of the deep directory structure (i.e subfolder below a subfolder below a subfolder, so on and so forth)...is a known problem in RALUS. The only way to know that would be to manually go through the different directories that you backup or enable a live debugging utility called SGMON on the backup server so that we might know whats causing the RALUS to cause.  Secondly, during the verify process ideally BE does not goes to the RALUS (or for any remote agent for that matter) for anything, it should just do a CRC check on the destination.

Regards

DKN.

andy_robbins
Level 2

Well, I have enabled debug mode on RALUS and kicked up the BUExec logging options to the maximum in Tools --> Options. Additionally, I am looking for hardware errors in the event logs of my media server to see if this possibly an issue with my media or media library and not RALUS, which is quite possible. However, that wouldn't explain why ralus always dies during the verification process.

Thanks for your help, I will report back with what I find.

-Andy

Whywontitjustwo
Not applicable
We're experiencing a similar issue.  A Mac OS X 10.4 server running the 12.5 RAMS will backup for a while (400 GB) and then just stall.  The beremote process is still running on the Mac server but the job just stops progressing.  We saw similar problems with 9.1 which is why we're trying the newer version of BE.  How can I troubleshoot this further?

mxcasey
Level 2

Hi,

I have the same problem here on v11d, on both Linux RH5 and Solaris 10.
Any solutions yet? Is this fixed in v12.5?

--

casey