cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RALUS installation and setup

TCM
Not applicable
Hey guys,

I have a Unix Server running solaris. Just upgraded to version 11d. However this is being setup on a completely new server. Now I know our Unix server has an 8.x or 9.x agent on it.

I have just purchased the 11d agent. But have no idea where to download the RALUS.tar file I'm meant to need. I am a complete Unix novice. So I need to know where to download and then baby steps on how to install and setup the agent.
I don't seem to be able to find documentation on this anywhere.

Regards,
Aaron
3 REPLIES 3

Jared_S_
Level 6
Employee
Hi Aaron -

You can download the tar file from www.backupexec.com.
Once there, locate "Free Downloads" and click on "Download Trialware" right below the Backup Exec for Windows Servers header.

- At this point you may need to enter some information but it will be quick.
- Click "Download Now" in the upper right corner of the screen
- Click "I agree"
- Select "Download Now" for the Backup Exec 11d for Windows Servers Linux/UNIX/Macintosh & NT4 Agents
- A pop-up window will appear (Allow this a little time to populate)
- Click "click here" in the lower half of the pop-up window
- Save the file

The tar file is roughly 225 MB in size

Once downloaded here is some tech notes to adhere to when installing the Agent for Unix.

--------------
Note: If the system is running the Backup Exec 8.x and 9.x Agent for UNIX, a message appears stating the Backup Exec 8.x and 9.x Agent for UNIX will be disabled, but not uninstalled. Press <ENTER> to disable the Backup Exec 8.x and 9.x Agent for UNIX and continue with the <install> process. Failure to disable the Backup Exec 8.x and 9.x Agent for UNIX, the Remote Agent installer will terminate and exit and the Remote Agent will not be installed.
--------------------

Backup Exec 11d Best Practices Guide: Remote <Agent> for LINUX or <Unix> Servers (RALUS)

Step by step installation of the Backup Exec Remote <Agent> for Linux and <UNIX> Servers (RALUS) on the Solaris platform.

These two documents should get you going. I hope they help!

- Jared

Frank_Joern
Level 3
Hi Jared,

You wrote "You can download the tar file from www.backupexec.com."
Are you serious abot that?
I was searching the Linux Remote Agent on http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support but could find nothing at all! I was really frustrated!
Why does Symantec hide this in such a funny location? Doesn't it belong to the product?

best regards
Frank

Jared_S_
Level 6
Employee
Frank -

Previously you could get the download from backupexec.com or fileconnect. I find it easier to get it from the backupexec site which was the reason I sent you that link. I recently received updated information regarding these downloads. You can now receive the same file from this location:

We have created the esdownload site to make it easier to retrieve these files.

- Jared