cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RD1000 Backup Exec 12.5

JamCanMan
Level 3

I have been trying this for hours and I just can't get this to work for me! I can't get backup exec to run a backup on a RD1000 configured as  Removable backup to disk, but it works fine as a backup to disk folder. Why??!?!!

In Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows I click on the "devices" tab. I load my RD1000 (Disk Fresh formatted NTFS 300GB)

I right click on the "Removeable Backup to Disk" device under my server, then choose "New backup to disk wizard". I Complete the wizard telling it I want a new "Removeable Backup To Disk Folder".

Under "Removeable Backup to Disc Folder" I now have A folder and a media. I assign my backups to the Backup to disc folder and run the job.

As soon as the job starts the RD1000 spits out the drive and Backup Exec promptly tells me "Please remove media", I click "ok".

Backup Exec then tells me to load overwriteable media. I load my blank cartridge back in and it repeats the proccess. Then I cancel the job.

Without changing anything but using a backup to disk folder instead the backup runs fine!

Why can't I use removeable backup to disk folder??

5 REPLIES 5

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   
same backup job?  same media set?  sounds like the first job is not happy with the device and/or the media set, while the second one is.  I don't think it is really related to be being a removable media or not.

JamCanMan
Level 3
Same backup job same media set! The only factor I changed was the type of Backup to Disc folder. If I use a backup to disk folder designed for non -removable drives it works fine. However the moment I try to get it to backup to a "Removeable backup to disk folder" It doesn't work.

I would really like to be able to use the Removeable Backup to disk folder so I can have the backup span multiple cartridges if needed.

chicojrman
Level 6
The RD1000 is a disk based device and will not be available as a tape device
you will need to configure a Removable backup to disk folder in order for it to work with BEWS (Backup Exec for Windows Servers)

you might also want to check out the following articles for other known issues

Firstly the Hardware Compatibility List which states the DELL RD 1000 to be compatible for Backup to Disk B2D
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/306831.pdf

Backups targeted to a USB removable storage device with 160GB or larger cartridges may fail during verify with "Difference encountered in file data
http://support.veritas.com/docs/305043

Dell RD1000 does not honor "Eject media after job completes" setting
http://support.veritas.com/docs/304615

JamCanMan
Level 3
I have configured the RD1000 as "Removeable Backup to Disk Folder" not as a Tape drive.

Nethier of those KBs match the issues I am having.

JamCanMan
Level 3

Updated the Firmware on the RD 1000 and rebooted all went well!