Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RHEL 5.8 BackupExec job fails with 0xe0008442 error

cclonch
Level 2

Full error message is:

Job ended: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 at 5:08:12 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008442 - A memory allocation request failed. The computer may be running low on virtual memory.
Final error category: System Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33858

The server being backed up is running the agent VRTSralus-13.0.4164-0 on RHEL 5.8 on a VMware guest.  System resources, as reported by the guest and VMware, do not show any signs of problems.  Nothing in syslog.  So I don't really have anything to go on.  We running BackupExec 2010 R2 and is administered by our Win-tel group.

Can anyone point me to more information on the cause or in finding the cause?  The link listed in the error message provides information on the error as it pertains to Windows servers not Linux.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Chris

5 REPLIES 5

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

as per http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH138337 - GRT (Granular Recovery Technology) enabled backup to a Deduplication folder fails with Out of Memory error.

You may need to install Backup Exec 2010 R2 - Hotfix 146017 (if not already installed)

Edited:

Another technote found which may help if this job is not targetted to dedupe - Backup job fails with this error message - A memory allocation request failed. The computer may be r...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Chris,

Taking a look at the BE 2010 SCL, RHEL 5.8 is not shown as supported. It goes as far as RHEL 5.7, so this could be your problem.

Check below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137682

Thanks! 

cclonch
Level 2

I've bounce those pointers to our Win-tel group.  We don't have any of those additional features enabled/installed so I don't believe they are applicable. 

However, we did notice another posting regarding Exchagne 2003 > 2010 upgrades causing problems.  This may indicate our Linux backups are not the root cause but merely what tries to write to the catalog (that has been corupted) next.

cclonch
Level 2

Given the difference is a point release, I doubt that would cause problems.  I would see it more as it has not been passed throught their qualification tests so no official support can be offered.  But that obviously is something...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which is the latest version. Your existing licence keys will work.  You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

After your upgrade, do not forget to run LiveUpdate a couple of time to update it to SP2 and the latest hotfixes.

After you have upgraded to R3, push out the remote agent again.