cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMAN tool comparison with backup exec 2014 in restore option

Ramzi_Sehwail
Level 4

i have backup exec 2014, i have oracle database enviroment work on linux operating system, i want to make comparsion between RMAN Tools and backup exec restore feature option, because the dba administrator want to know if backup exec covers our requirments.can you help me if the feature in the table available or not on backup exec 2014.  

RMAN Tools Backup Exec system 
Restore and Recovery of a Whole Database  
Restore and Complete Recovery of Individual Table spaces or Data files  
Incomplete Recovery (until point in time)  
  Incomplete Recovery (until log sequence)  
Loss of all online redo log files  
Loss of all control files  
 RMAN Restore on another machine with different file system  
 Restore For validation (Database, Archive logs, table space, control file …) .  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

With Backup Exec -

Can backup & restore complete DB. Can restore control file also.
Cannot restore individual table spaces or data files.
Can restore to a specific Point in time
Can redirect the restore to another Oracle server
Can perform validation only. (Cannot validate control file though)

Would also recommend your DBA to have a look @ the Oracle Chapter of the BE Admin Guide for details.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

VJware
Level 6

The Backup Exec Agent for Oracle does invoke RMAN for backing up the Oracle DBs.

Think of this way -

From a backup/restore perspective in terms of schedule, storage, backup type etc, the configuration is done by the Backup Exec Agent. This Agent calls the RMAN for the actual backup and restore of the DB. They work hand in hand.

Have a look @ this KB article - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.HOWTO24333

The Symantec Backup Exec Agent for Oracle on Windows or Linux Servers (Oracle Agent) uses Oracle's Recovery Manager (RMAN) to protect Oracle databases. RMAN is a tool that manages the backup and restore and recovery of Oracle databases.

The following features are available with the Oracle Agent:

• The ability to initiate backup and restore operations from Backup Exec or from the RMAN console as a Database Administrator (DBA).

Operations that the DBA performs on the RMAN console are referred to as DBA-initiated operations. You should refer to your Oracle documentation for information about RMAN.

• Multiple data stream support for increased performance during backup and restore operations.

• RMAN recovery catalog support to manage the backup, restore, and recovery of Oracle databases.

• Oracle Real Application Cluster (RAC) support.

Ramzi_Sehwail
Level 4

thank you for replying,i need answer more specific to reply for the dba administrator question, i have weak knowledge in database general. can you answer the question on the table by support or not support.

VJware
Level 6

With Backup Exec -

Can backup & restore complete DB. Can restore control file also.
Cannot restore individual table spaces or data files.
Can restore to a specific Point in time
Can redirect the restore to another Oracle server
Can perform validation only. (Cannot validate control file though)

Would also recommend your DBA to have a look @ the Oracle Chapter of the BE Admin Guide for details.

Ramzi_Sehwail
Level 4

thank you for answering but i have still one question when we use the restore from online  current database and what the benefit from this option? 

VJware
Level 6

This just provides an optional view while selecting items for a restore.

You either choose from the Online DB view OR the Control Files view.