cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read Bacula tapes with Backup Exec

Raven1970
Level 2

Hello

I'm a new starter with Backup Exec, we are migrating from bacula on a RedHat server to Backup Exec on a Windows machine, until now we had no problems with installation and configuration. My issue is with some tapes that we have to keep for eternity ;) is there any way to read those tapes with Back Exec and restore the data if necessary or is better restore the files on the tapes somewhere and backup the data again with Backup Exec ? I tryed to catalog a tapes from Bacula, but the result is that the tape library continue to load and unload the tape until I cancel the job.

Thanks in advance

Raven

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Usually BE can read "foreign" media as long as the tape media is present in .mtf format....if thats the case, inventorying the drive & then cataloging the media should allow you to read the tape

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB

BE can read a tape which has data written in .MTF format. I am not sure what format Bacula uses.

I guess restoring files using Bacula and then taking a backup through BE would be a better option.

VJware
Level 6

Usually BE can read "foreign" media as long as the tape media is present in .mtf format....if thats the case, inventorying the drive & then cataloging the media should allow you to read the tape

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...another way to do this would be to restore data from the RHL server to the Windows server, if you can configure it to do this. Then simply back up that data using BE.

Raven1970
Level 2

Ok thanks, I was thinking to restore the files from Bacula tapes and then backup them again with BE. But if BE should read Bacula it will semplify my job I can restore and backup without move the tape library from one server to another .... however from what I learned I have to do it frown