cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reassigning license for a failed server

ShackDaddy
Not applicable

I had an Exchange Remote Agent license for an Exchange 2003 box that has been gone for a while and I want to reassign that license to a newer Exchange 2010 server. When I run the licensing audit, the results list the Exchange agent twice: once with no server assigned, and once with the old server assigned, and both entries use the same license key.

If I don't have the old Exchange server to run the uninstall on, what are my next steps to be able to reclaim that assigned agent for my newer server?

Thanks,

Dave Shackelford

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Its simple, make sure you're only backing up one Exchange server at any given point of time!

Licenses are not assigned to 'a particular server'. 

Make sure you have uninstalled Remote Agent from the old machine which does not need to be backed up any more (i know you mentioned you already decommissioned it.. but just saying in general) OR decommission that server.

And make sure you are only backing up the number of servers for which you're licensed for. In your situation

1 Agent for Exchange licnese = 1 Exchange server (regardless of what version of Exchange you backup)

That should do it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Its simple, make sure you're only backing up one Exchange server at any given point of time!

Licenses are not assigned to 'a particular server'. 

Make sure you have uninstalled Remote Agent from the old machine which does not need to be backed up any more (i know you mentioned you already decommissioned it.. but just saying in general) OR decommission that server.

And make sure you are only backing up the number of servers for which you're licensed for. In your situation

1 Agent for Exchange licnese = 1 Exchange server (regardless of what version of Exchange you backup)

That should do it.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

the licensing wizard allows you to choose a date range on which it needs to go back and check what licenses were used where. It's probably seen that you had 1 Exchange license before, and you're using another 1 now. As long as your other server has been decommissioned, you're allowed to use that Exchange license again.

Ignore what the report shows and go with your current license count as being accurate.

Thanks!