cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild my media catalog

Russ_Fagan
Level 3
I had to reinstall Windows and Backup Exec on my media server recently.  Current backups are fine, but when I attempt to catalog my old tapes, it fails telling me, "The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation." 

I do exactly as it says, inventory the tapes, then catalog and get the same results.  What am I missing/doing wrong?

Thanks!!!

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Just for grins, shut down Backup Exec and rename the \catalogs folder to \catalogs.old .

restart BackupExec
try the Inventory and Catalog again

if this ever happens again, if you have a copy of BEDB.BAK to use, copy\restore  the \catalogs folder to the new location before starting BackupExec for the first time (using NTBackup)

The BAK file should contain an entry for the tape volume, which enables BackupExec to access the catalog file associated with it.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Try this first:
Go into the Media view, select All media, and see if you have any media listed with the same names as the ones you wish to inventory.
If you do, move those media to the Retired media set, then delete them. Then try inventorying and catalogging again.