cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving Client-side Deduplication Warnings on SQL Server Jobs Not Configured for Client-Side Deduplication

NESL_Netops
Level 4

I've noticed that all of our SQL server jobs that backup databases only (no file system data is backed up) are reporting the following warning in the job log:

"Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used"

The thing that I'm confused about is that the target dedup storage device (Exagrid OST share) has client-side deduplication DISABLED. Despite that, there is no options in the job itself to specify whether or not to use server-side or client-side dedup as I would expect to see if the option on the storage device was even enabled. Also, I see properties for configuring Direct Access as well, as if the storage option, again, was enabled. So I'm seeing some very conflicting things even from what I'd expect as pre-requesites for using client-side dedup and Direct Access, yet I don't have it enabled, and therefore I shouldn't expect to see the warning in these jobs. Yet here they are...

Can anyone explain why am I seeing these warnings? Is it unique to the SQL application agent? How do I surpress these and/or disable client-side dedup from even being attempted?

Platform info:

• Backup Exec 2012 SP1 x64, Windows 2008 R2 SP1
  • Remote server is Windows 2008 R2, SQL 2008 SP2 Std
  • Remote agent is up to date with the media server
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

NESL_Netops
Level 4

The following tech article resolved the issue for us:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189111

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

The TN below should assist you with your error:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77683

Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I'll hit the support flag for you in the meantime yes

NESL_Netops
Level 4

Trying the method of disabling direct access sharing. Not sure why it automatically enables itself when protecting SQL resources despite the OST dedup device explicitly set to DISABLED for client-side dedup. I'll report back after the next scheduled job runs.

NESL_Netops
Level 4

Thanks. I think you replied to a previous post before I edited it. I realized I had confused one thing I had tried with something else and am checking out something in the article first.

NESL_Netops
Level 4

OK, still seems to be behaving differently than expected.

I just tried disabling direct access sharing and as soon as I re-submit the job definition, it re-enables sharing with the media server. Here's the steps I performed:

1. Expanded server details on the remote server object

2. Went to Direct Access Sharing and unchecked the media server it had automatically shared itself with

3. Restarted the Backup Exec services

4. Confirmed that DA Sharing was still unchecked

5. Edited the backup job

6. Made no changes, clicked Save

7. Verified DA Sharing again and noticed that the media server object is now checked.

8. Restarted the BE services and confirmed DA Sharing with the media server was still checked.

NESL_Netops
Level 4

The following tech article resolved the issue for us:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189111