cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover Exchange files for an offline restore

Paolo_Barbalarg
Not applicable

Hi to all,
I've an Exchange organization full backup made with Backup Exec 10 for Small Business Server, and now I need to recover this backup also into a different server and different location folder to use it for an offline Exchange restore.

Ok, I know that I can restore this backup direcly with the right agent, but I need to have the complete list of files existent at the monent of backup: pri1.edb, priv1.stm, pub1.edb pub1.stm and them relative log files into a different folder.

Can you suggent me the easiest way to obtain what described?

Thank you to all!
Regards,
Paolo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hi,

You wont be able to restore .EBD and .STM backups through Backup Exec if you have taken the Exchange backup selecting Information Store and Storage Groups. If you have backed up .EDB and .STM files like flat files stopping Exchange services, then you will be able to restore them anywhere you want.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hi,

You wont be able to restore .EBD and .STM backups through Backup Exec if you have taken the Exchange backup selecting Information Store and Storage Groups. If you have backed up .EDB and .STM files like flat files stopping Exchange services, then you will be able to restore them anywhere you want.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Paolo,

If BE 10.x supports duplicating backups to disk, then you CAN get hold of your *.edb and *.stm files. That's exactly what it does...copy those files from tape, to disk.

Read the article below on how to restore Exchange after duplicating to disk...you'd stop straight after duplicating the backup set, as you'd have your flat files.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-usi...

Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

This is totally wrong...even if you stop the Exchange services, BE would make use of Active File Exclusion (AFE) and NOT back up the *.edb, *.stm or log files. If you do, chances are good you're going to run into issues when restoring...you'd have to stop the services, then dismount the Information Store, THEN try the backup of the flat files.

Duplicating to disk actually DOES give you the flat files...I've done this very time I have had to restore Exchange information, so the solution above actually isn't accurate at all! Once you duplicate to disk, you can do what you like with the flat files...

Thanks,

Craig