cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redirect Public Folders restore on Exchange 2003

LasseF
Level 4
Hi

I want to test the restore process of our Public Folders but would like to redirect them to the Recovery Storage Group, isn't this possible with Backup Exec 12.5 and Exchange 2003 SP2.

/Lasse
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GauravAditya
Level 5
Yes, that is absolutely correct.

The only method left in this case is to build a recovery server (i.e. create a test environment with the same configuration as your production) and restore.

Then export using Outlook into a PST file and copy it to the production environment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gauravaditya

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

GauravAditya
Level 5
Firstly, Microsoft does not support restoring/recovering Public Folders to RSG.

You can only recover mailbox stores to a Recovery Storage Group. You cannot restore a public folder store to a Recovery Storage Group because that action is not supported. The methods that you use to recover a public folder store in Exchange Server 2003 are the same methods that you use in Exchange 2000 Server.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824126

But, you can do a redirected restore of a Public Folder to RSG provided you have VERITAS NetBackup and not to forget some 3rd party tools as well.

Technote for NBU: -
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/289602.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gauravaditya

LasseF
Level 4
Thanks for the reply.

So the only way to restore a online backup of Public Folders is to restore it directly to the original location........

In my opinion an offline backup of the Public Folders are more useful, because it's possible to mount it in the Recovery Storage Group.

GauravAditya
Level 5
Yes, that is absolutely correct.

The only method left in this case is to build a recovery server (i.e. create a test environment with the same configuration as your production) and restore.

Then export using Outlook into a PST file and copy it to the production environment.

Gauravaditya