cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reloading backup jobs/selections after restore

srothkin
Level 3
I tried the instructions in the tech note at http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288640.htm, but no joy. I can see the backup catalogs through the GUI, but not any of my backup jobs and selections.

Here's the scenario. The old server had a 20gig C drive and a 40 gig D drive. The twist is the D drive was the boot/windows drive (from back when the server was originally dual boot windows 2000 and windows 98). So Backup Exec (and SQL server) were also installed on the D drive.

I started getting disk errors, so I purchased a pair of 80gig drives to replace the above two drives. That's when the fun began. IDR wouldn't automatically partition the drives because of the size difference, so I had to do that manually. I had to use a boot CD to format the C drive since the IDR boot would only format the install drive. Then the IDR windows install did something funky with the drive letter for the "d" drive so that even after restoring the system state, I could boot but not login. I tried simply cloning the old C and D drives to the new drives (using a CDROM disk cloning utility). Again, no joy (something wierd about the partition tables that windows didn't see D as being D -- go figure).

I tried booting back into the old drives, but then the old D drive went kaput.

So I reinstalled windows 2000 on the C drive (D drive still having valid contents from IDR tape restore).

Then I followed the technote referenced above, but I had to take the data files from the tape restore (via IDR). As per the instructions I installed backup exec on the D drive to the exact same path name as on the old server (however, the install insisted on putting SQL Server on the C drive and even with manual registry editing, I could not successfully move SQL server to the D drive and make it work).

So after following all the instructions, I started the backup exec GUI and it gave me all the setup wizards, and then I checked the jobs tab -- none of my jobs/selections are there.

So...., what can I do to import my jobs/selections?

Thanks,
5 REPLIES 5

srothkin
Level 3
BTW, this is BENT 10d.

srothkin
Level 3
No answers at all? Some help from Veritas tech support would be appreciated.

Thanks

Allen_K
Level 6

Hi srothkin,

Sorry no one has been able to help you with your technical issue so far. Please note that this is a peer-to-peer discussion forum and not technical support.

Usually customers come to the rescue. Other times, when they are available, a Symantec employee will volunteer his/her time to find and help solve issues just like any other member of the community.

However, in this case, it looks like you might be better off contacting Symantec
Support Services for 24/7 access to technical support professionals. You can also try using our Knowledge Base Search.

Hope that helps!

Message Edited by LakeRat on 08-20-2007 11:21 PM

srothkin
Level 3
I tried the knowledgebase before posting here. I was only able to find one article (referenced above) and it didn't solve the problem (as noted above). I also tried google.

In the support center, I clicked the link for email support and it told me to post here in lieu of email support (which is no longer offered).   Based on that message, I fully expected techical support to be active in the forum here.

srothkin
Level 3
Oh, and I can't find a tech support phone number. Only a non-technical customer care phone number (which is closed at the momemnt).