cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent Error

Richard_Borden
Level 2
I am getting the following error and a backup status of 'failed.' The server in question is a remote Netapp filer with Windows shares. It appears some of the selections are backed up, but not \\servername\SHARED\*.*. There is no remote agent installed on the filer since it is not a native Winsows box. But I do have a remote agent serial number on the backup media server. Ths backup routine worked days previous, but not yesterday or the day before.

Usually it does this: The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine 00-IT-FP-01.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.
WARNING: Media servers cannot completely protect remote
Windows-based servers or workstations unless the Backup
Exec Remote Agent is installed
and running on each remote Windows-based server or
workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the
Remote Agent is not running
while backing up remote Windows-based computers.

Please refer to the documentation or online help for more information.
Unable to initialize Remote Agent

Set Information - \\00-IT-FP-01\users$ Users Home Directories
Backup Set Information
Family Name: "Media created 2/10/2006 8:00:04 PM"
Backup of "\\00-IT-FP-01\users$ Users Home Directories"
Backup set #2 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Daily Full and SQL Backup"
Backup Type: Full - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit

Backup started on 2/10/2006 at 8:03:18 PM.

Backup Set Detail Information
Drive and media mount requested: 2/10/2006 10:08:22 PM
Drive and media information from media mount: 2/10/2006 10:10:59 PM
Robotic Library Name: COMPAQ 2
Drive Name: COMPAQ 1
Slot: 6
Media Label: DLT000008
Media GUID: {d349ff67-d01f-42d6-a0de-b4f8ea0c99c7}
Overwrite Protected Until: 12/30/9999 6:00:00 PM
Appendable Until: 12/30/9999 6:00:00 PM
Targeted Media Set Name: Tape Media Set 1
Backup set #2 on storage media #2

Backup completed on 2/10/2006 at 10:25:10 PM.

Backup Set Summary
Backed up 50015 files in 7588 directories.
Processed 44,468,474,534 bytes in 2 hours, 18 minutes, and 51 seconds.
Throughput rate: 305 MB/min

Any thoughts why the particular share below will not backup similarly like it did days ago?

Backup- \\00-IT-FP-01\users$ Users Home DirectoriesThe Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine 00-IT-FP-01.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.
Unable to attach to \\00-IT-FP-01\SHARED.
V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.
4 REPLIES 4

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

The Remote Agent WARNING can be safely ignored as the Remote Agent cannot be installed on a Netapp Filer.

As far as the error is concerned, are yoyu trying to back up the Netapp filer using "User defined selections"..?

Does the account used for backup have full access to the shares..?

Known compatibility issues with Backup Exec for Windows Servers and NetApp Filer Systems

http://support.veritas.com/docs/270396

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to the answered questions pool.

Richard_Borden
Level 2
I was getting the warning, but now I am getting this failed message. I am using the selections from "User defined selections." The account used for backing up is the domain admin.

When I try to do a manual run now backup I now get:

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 9:56:51 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly.
Final error category: Security Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65065

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- 00-IT-FP-01The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine 00-IT-FP-01.
Access is denied to Remote Agent. Check the login account for the specified device.

I then followed the following link http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277422.htm

but I am a little confused about what place I am to enter the backup user account -- in the services or in the beackup exec user interface.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please note that you can also change the services credentials from BE gui.

-- Also verify if port 10,000 is open on both the servers.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Richard_Borden
Level 2
Turns out it was the credentials for the specific resource as determined in the job itself.

Thanks for your help. I am up and running.