cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent compatibility for Backup Exec 10d y Backup Exec 12.5

Fuen
Level 2

I have a Backup Exec 10d server which used to backup files of a file server called FS1. Now we have bought a new Backup Exec 12.5 and installed it on a different machine.

Some files of FS1 need to be backed up by Backup Exec 10d and other files by the new 12.5.  FS1 has a Remote Agent for Windows Servers installed by 10d long time ago.

When I run a backup of FS1 files with Backup Exec 12.5, it complaints because the version of Remote Agent in FS1 is old.

Can I still trust on the backups performed with the error? Will I have problems during a recovery?

If I decide to upgrade the Remote Agenton of FS1? Will my old backup server 10d still be able to perform backups of FS1 data?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I'm really surprised that v12.5 will connect to a v10 Remote Agent at all

From the v12.5 SCL:

Backup Exec 11d and 12 Remote Agents are compatible with 12.5 Media Servers for the purpose of rolling upgrades only. This configuration is not recommended or supported for extended periods.

Legally, all Remote Agents must be at the same level as the media server

Why do you want to backup part of this server with v10 and part with v12.5?

if you do upgrade the FS1 RA to v23.5, the 10d backups will break

Fuen
Level 2
I have 2 robotic library, one attached to V10 and one to V12.5 and I need both to do all the backups I need.

I had already read that comment  "This configuration is not recommended or supported for extended periods." And that's the reason of my question, what does it mean? Can I trust in the backups I do with this warning? Can they be restored? Or will the situation get degraded in some way?

I can confirm my V12.5 is able to do backup in servers with V10 Remote Agent. What I do not know is if it's using the Remote Agent at all.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
perhaps the solution would be to purchase an LEO (Library Expansion Option) and connect both libraries to the v12.5 media server

If the v12 media server is connecting to the remote boxes that are running the v10d RA, then yes, it is using the RemoteAgent..  SInce v9,  a media server will not connect to a remote serverOS without the RA

if the backups are saying successful, then you should be OK.  If you ever have any problems, Symantec will tell you to upgrade the RAs as the first step, before they will do anything else to troubleshoot the problem

Philip_D
Level 5
For the record, (and for anyone else looking for this information) 12.5 will connect to 10.x remote agents as long as those remote agents have advertising turned on and are advertising themselves to the 12.5 media server (of course, every job will complete with exceptions until you actually upgrade the agents, but it's useful to know this if you're rolling out an upgrade). 

Also note that once you turn advertising on on the remote agent, it may take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour for the remote computer to show up in your Favorites under the backup selection list menu.