cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to 12.5, Install keep wanting to install the Remote Admin console

CV94
Level 2
Contacted to do some troubleshooting for a client who is trying to upgrade to 12.5  Downloaded the 12.5 upgrade, but during install keep getting message that Remote Admin has been detected on this machine, and it will be upgraded.  But want to do a full install.  Previously on version 11; Did uninstall, removed directories, cleaned registry with the MSI tool (as referenced on Symantec's website.  Still getting message. 
anyone know of a way to force a full install using commandline switches, or where the Remote Admin pieces might be?  We took off everything we could find and then some.

Server is Win2003 TS with it's own tape backup.  Network also has a Win2003SBS server with 11 on it, backup up itself.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you have gone through the registry and removed all the Symantec\BackupExec entries that you can find, I'd say you are probably down to opening an incident with Symantec    |8^(

CV94
Level 2

My client won't keep paying for me to troubleshoot this, and i can't blame him.  Symantec, if you're listening, you need to make this process less trouble-prone, or at least easier to remedy when there are problems!  We are abandoning this and going with a hardware-based BDR device (backup/disaster recovery) that images the drives, can mount the image and run as the server in case of failure and has automatic offsite backup as a subscribable option.  All for the price of a couple days of troubleshooting time.   Didn't want to go this direction, but we shouldn't have to work this hard just to do a software upgrade of a tape backup program.

haroldg
Not applicable
How do you know this is a Symantec issue?  Could it be a problem with a MS patch?  Maybe the person that install 11d hosed the installation.  It sounds like whoever installed the Remote Admin portion installed it on the Terminal server in application mode rather than admin mode.

Not defending Symantec but there are other issues outside of Symantec that could cause this problem. 

Philip_D
Level 5
Had this problem with 11d when trying to upgrade from 10d to 11d to 12.5.  I was forced to do a fresh install and recreate hundreds of jobs.  I believe we are moving to a different backup solution sometime in the future as well.