cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent crashes when backing up Macintosh metadata files

Stefan_Hoerzer
Level 3
We have the BE agent on Windows 2000. Version 9.1.4691. Windows is 2000 with Update Rollup for SP4. Recently we connected a Mac to the network and also stored some converted Mac DVD's in some shares. This created some hidden .xxxxxx files (filenames that BEGIN with a dot!). Now the BE agent crashes as soon as it encounters one of them. Has anyone come across this? is there a hotfix or SP for BE 9.1?
Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please install SP2 for BE 9.1 and then verify the result.
please check the link:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/275247

Also please mention the exact error message that you receive.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Stefan_Hoerzer
Level 3
We already are on SP2. All file versions/dates on the remote server are the same is in the document you mentioned.

On the remote server we get an error in the event log:

EventID 7031
The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers service terminated unexpectedly....

On the media server we get:

Error category : Server Errors
Error : a000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred

Thanks

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
This comes up every so often on the forums. Some threads have been quite long, and I don't beleive a result has been found as yet.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

The error "Event ID : 7031 faced by you may occur if the BE service is unable to contact the BE database.

To resolve the issue refer the following steps.
A) Please update to the latest MDAC components from the Microsoft website.
www.microsoft.com

B) Reapply the latest Windows Service Pack applied on the BE Media Server.

C) Stop all Antivirus software during the bootup process and verify the results.

D) Verify that the RPC Locator service is running.

E) - 1) Create a new Domain Admin or Local Admin equivalent account. Make this account as the Backup Exec Service Account (BESA). Change the username & password of all the Backup Exec services. This can be done from the Control Panel - Services option or from the "Backup Exec service manager.
2) Start all Backup Exec services.

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Stefan_Hoerzer
Level 3
We have tried all of the above but the error still persists. It is clearly casued by accessing a Macintosh file. If I exclude the folder that contains these files the backup runs without a problem.

How could the remote agent lose connectivity due to the file type it is backing up. This procedure did not help and and I can't see how it could have in the first place.

Let me repeat this. The entire backup runs fine no matter how many times I re-run it. As soon as I try to back up just ONE Macintosh file the agent crashes.

Have you tried reproducing this error? If you like I can try to zip some of these files or store them inside a ntbackup file and send them to you. I'd have to test this first as I'm not sure whether the file will still crash the agent after a zip and unzip.

These files have been created by an iMac accessing the SMB share and a PC using Macdrive to extract macintosh DVD's.

Regards,
Stefan

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

In the backup job, you can exclude that MAC file and take the backup of rest of the data.

You can create a seperate backup job to backup the MAC files by installing MAC Agent.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Stefan_Hoerzer
Level 3
I was under the impression that the Mac Agent is used to backup files on Macintosh computers....NOT Mac files on Windows 2000 servers.

Regards,

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

- You have mentioned that "Recently we connected a Mac to the network and also stored some converted Mac DVD's in some shares". Are these shares on Windows or are these on MAC?
- What are these hidden files? What are they used for?
- Why are these files hidden? Or are these attributes by default?
- The .xxxxx are these extensions of the files that are present?

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Stefan_Hoerzer
Level 3
Hello,

The shares are on Windows 2000 which is where we are trying to back up from (using the remote agent).

The files are created hidden automatically by the Mac. I assume they contain metadata on some files that the Mac creates. These files are from various apps.

the .xxxxxx is the complete file name. For example there may be a test.doc file and a .test.doc hidden files that goes with it. Apparently one use of this files is to remember view settings in the Mac Finder.

Regards,
Stefan

Stefan_Hoerzer
Level 3
Hello,

This issue is still happening. What farther information do you require? Have you tried to reproduce this error with files created by a Mac?

Thanks,
Stefan

Stefan_Hoerzer
Level 3
Hello,

This issue is still happening. What farther information do you require? Have you tried to reproduce this error with files created by a Mac?

Thanks,
Stefan

Stefan_Hoerzer
Level 3
Hello,

Thanks,
Stefan

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
I've had problems I've been bumping for over six months.

I think you've discovered a bug in the product, which means you'll be bumping for a long time.

Stefan_Hoerzer
Level 3
What is the problem with Veritas support. The problem is obviously caused by some Mac files. Veritas is clearly unwilling to support their products. At the very least they could try to reproduce the error rather than suggesting service packs that we have already applied and re-applied!

Can I get some support for this product please. Otherwise we will get rid of Veritas and get a product from the competition.

Regards

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

- What is the OS version of MAC?

- Is this particular file in use, when it is being backed up?

- Test the backup using NT Backup and check if this file is getting backed up!

- Does the MAC user have Office X open on system during backup?

- Set job to use "Without a lock" under the advanced tab of the job and verify the result!

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Stefan_Hoerzer
Level 3
Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

The version is Mac OSX 10.3
The Mac is not running during backup and Office is not open.
The file is not in use.
We have tried setting the open file option to 'Never' but it still crashes the agent

We currently back up the prblem part of the file system with NTBackup. It works fine and does not crash on those files.

Thanks,
Stefan

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please install the latest service pack and upgrade all the agents as well.

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691 - Service Pack 3
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278302