cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent is installed, but backup exec saying it is not installed

Matt_Olynyk
Level 3
i am backing up a server on a different AD than the backup server is on. and backup exec says that there is no remote agent installed, yet it is installed. i can see and select the shared folders, but i can not select the drives on that server. twice i was able to select the drive (not sure why), but at backup time it failed to connect to drive. i am pretty sure it is a remote agent issue, but i don't know how to fix it...any ideas???
19 REPLIES 19

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Can you ping both ways by both IP and Machine name?

Also see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/240173.htm

Matt_Olynyk
Level 3
yes i can. and what makes it more wierd is...sometimes i can access the unshared drive and sometimes i can't. when i can access them and i select folders to be backed up it works fine, but if i select the whole drive the backup fails to connect. this seems to indicate a remote agent problem, but the remote agent service is running with the appropriate right to the local machine. i think it has something to do with the two ADs we have here. i am trying to backup from different AD then the backup server is on.

thanks,
matt

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As you have mentioned here that you are backing up the remote server on another active directory i.e the server in another domain.

As you are backing up remote server frorm another domain have you established the trust relationship between the two domains?

Verify if port 10,000 is open.

Try coupying some data from remote server to backup exec server.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Matt_Olynyk
Level 3
thanks for the response, i have figured out one of the problems...the intermittent availablity of the unshared folders...this problem was a network issue, sometimes when i ping the server by name it finds it, other times it went to the internet. that has been resolved.

but my other main problem still exists...when i select a remote drive, BE9.0 is saying no remote agent is installed and i can not fully backup with a remote agent installed, when in fact a remote agent is installed, service running and with local admin rights. and i can actually do a backup, but it is only on folders not drives.

thanks,
matt

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you do Help/About, does a RemoteAgent serial show as being installed.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Matt,

Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Matt_Olynyk
Level 3
Yes, remote agent is licensed and installed on the backup server. as well as installed on the remote server. i have purchased three remote licenses, but only the one code shows. i tried installing the same code again, but it won't allow it even though the license certificate show a quantity of three.

thanks,
matt

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please try the following:
1. go to tools-serial numbers and installation-write down the serial numbers
2. delete the serial numbers for remote agent and comlete the wizard
3. reboot the server
4. Go to tools-serial numbers and installation again enter the serial numbers for remote agent
5. complete the wizard
6. reboot the server

Please verify the result.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Matt_Olynyk
Level 3
Thanks for the suggestion, but it is still doing the same thing...any other ideas?

thanks, matt

Matt_Olynyk
Level 3
does anyone know if there is suppose to be only one license code installed on the server for multiple remote agents?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Every remote server needs a remote agent license to be installed. However if you have one site license, then it can be used for multiple servers in different sites.

Hope that clarifies. You can tuhs check if it is a site license. Refer to the following technote:

Title: Backup Exec with a Site License Number will not install the Backup Exec Naming Service
http://support.veritas.com/docs/272682

Revert if you need further clarifications on this.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Matt_Olynyk
Level 3
It appears that I have a site license, because I found this line "08-19-2005,10:31:02 : Backup Exec with a site license serial number will not install the Backup Exec Naming Service" in the bkupinst file. Is that correct? If so, I still do not know why the remote agent seems to work sometimes and not others.

Does backupexec always give you a warning (you must install remote agent on any remotewindows server...), when selecting a drive to backup? (as opposed to selecting just a directory where this warning does not happen)

thanks,
matt

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

-- What is the exact error you get while selecting the drive?

-- What is the OS of remote machine, on which remote agent is installed?

-- Are you trying to select data from user defined selections?
Refer this technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/274932

-- Also refer this technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236744.htm

-- We suggest you to upgrade free of cost to v9.1 and reinstall remote agent:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264658.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Matt_Olynyk
Level 3
My backup is consistantly failing for different reasons, but the error i was talking about while selecting drives is...Warning: You must install the remote agent on any remote windows server you wnat to protect. You can not fully backup or restore resources on a remote computer until remote agent has been intalled...If I just select a directory, I do not get this warning. I read the technote you recommended and this is happing when I am selecting the drives themselves, I am not selecting user defined shares. And this warning happens on both of my remote servers (win 2000 and 2003).

So, what I have been doing is selecting just important directories on different servers. But even this does not seem to be working very well, almost everyday I have some kind of failure. It is usually can't connect to a remote drive, so it does not backup some of my selections. The backup job report just say Running on the drives it did not backup.

On my full backup over the weekend I had a failure because...ERROR...The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding...which i have had once before. In this case the job just hangs until I cancel the job.

The OS of the Backup server is Windows server 2000, the two other remote servers I am backing up are a 2000 server and a 2003 server. The failures seem to happen most while trying to backup the Backup server itself and the 2003 server. The remote 2000 server seems to work most of the time.

I will read these technotes and I will try upgrading to 9.1, and I will respond with results.

Thanks,
MattMessage was edited by:
Matt Olynyk

Matt_Olynyk
Level 3
hello,

i confirmed all my security settings (ie trusts, rights, etc...) according to the second article and everything is correct.

i also upgraded as specified in the third article.

however, i had another failure last night, which was different then the others...this stated that a network problem occured during backup which caused the backup to fail. I could not find any network problems and i completed a test this morning and everything work ok, but it always seems to work ok on my small tests, but soon as i try to complete a daily or weekly backup i almost always get a failure of one sort or another.

i did notice a pattern in the other failures...it seems that the backup exec job engine service stopped at least two times. once i restarted it, backup exec seemed to be ok again.

since the error last night seemed to be from a network problem, i will see what happens tonight and post again tomorrow. if you have any other ideas about the backup job engine service stopping, please let me know.

thanks,
matt

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please upgrade to 9.1 and and also check if there are any alerts as the job engine service is crashing.

Matt_Olynyk
Level 3
I upgraded to 9.1, and i had one failure (but it said it was a network problem) in two nights. So I will monitor tonight and over the weekend (full backup is the true test), and get back to you on monday with the results.

But I have another problem maybe you can anwser...on my old BE 8.6, the sony 4mm multitape unit broke, so I had to get it fixed, then when i reconnected it, restore did not work. When i did a restore it will say "on hold (failed)". However a new Backups did work. So i tried copying my backup of the catologs and data over the current catologs and data, but this did not work and then i lost all my catologs all together. so i tryed catologing a tape, but it does not work either, any ideas?

thanks,
matt

Matt_Olynyk
Level 3
hello,

my backup failed again over the weekend, with the same error since i upraded to 9.1...The job failed with the following error: A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent.

this is the only error i have been recieving since i upgraded to 9.1, but never received this error before i upgraded, i got others but not this one, so i believe this is because of the upgrade. not a network problem. plus there have not been any network issues during the times of these failures. what are the common causes of this failure? the failure happened twice while backing up using a 2000 host server and a 2003 remote server, could this have something to do with it?.

thanks,
matt

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the following technote.

(title) "A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent" (a00084f9 HEX or e00084f9 HEX) is reported in the job log while performing a backup of a remote computer.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/256120

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.