Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote SQL server backup with BackupExec for SBS 11d

Frederic_Ng
Level 2
Partner Accredited
Hi,

I've seen a couple of posts concerning this subject, but I'm not sure if there has been a solution to it yet. Here's the situation at my customer's site:

I've got two servers:
Server 1: Runs Windows SBS 2003 R2 Premium Edition.  The customer is not running SQL on this server. The tape drive is attached to this server.
Server 2: Runs Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition and SQL 2000 Server Standard Edition.

I want to backup the SBS server and the remote SQL server, i.e Server 2, through the SBS Server.

The following licenses have been bought:
1. BackupExec for Windows Small Business Server Premium
2. BackupExec Windows Agent for SQL Server with Agent for Windows System

The problem is that the license key for the SQL agent is not accepted by the BackupExec for SBS. When I try to backup the SQL data, the job is successful, but when we try to restore the data, the folders are empty. According to Symantec Support Desk, the license key for the SQL agent is meant to work with BackupExec for Windows Server only.
But according to the BackupExec for SBS datasheet, page 5,  which can be downloaded at the following link, http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/fact_sheets/ent-datasheet_bewsbs_11d_03-2007.en-us.pdf , it says the following:
Customers with a Small Business Server 2003 R2 media server running Backup Exec 11d for Windows Small Business Server (Premium or Standard edition) can back up remote Exchange or SQL servers by purchasing Backup exec 11d for Windows Servers Exchange or SQL Agent.

This is what is also said on the following link:
http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/products/agents_options_details.jsp?pcid=2244&pvid=296_1&aoid=299

Sorry for the long post, but it's just too confusing and I need this to work.
2 REPLIES 2

harmstrong
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Hi Frederic,

Did you backup the SQL database via the SQL agent icon inside the backup selections?  Make sure sql was not selected via the file system .  On the media server to have a license for the remote agent .

Regards,
HArmstrong
Symantec

Frederic_Ng
Level 2
Partner Accredited
Hi Harmstrong,

We've tried that and it looks like the backup is ok now. We'll do a restore to check if everything is ok. Will keep you updated.

Thanks

Frederic