cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote agent not seen by server. Why?

Jim_Barr
Level 3
We have Backup Exec v11D installed on a server, and it is backing up several dozen PC's, laptops, and servers without issue. We deployed a new PC the other day as we normally do, gave it a unique name, joined it to the domain, and installed the Backup Exec agent like we have done with the other computers. We waited some time (the next day, actually) and went to add it to a backup job, however its entry in the computer list indicates that the agent is not recognized. In other words, other PC's show entries of "C: Drive", "System State", etc. but this one PC shows "None" so nothing will backup.

The firewall is turned off on the client PC, and is reachable via AD otherwise without issue.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

-Jim Barr
EDI / IT Support
Orian Rugs, Inc.
6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Jim,

Any antivirus possibly blocking the application? have you given the service account the necessary admin rights to that server?
Have you also looked at maybe uninstalling/reinstalling the agent to rule out corruption of the original installation?
Is that new machine's name/IP resolving from your media server? This will rule out possible DNS issues on the new machine...
Lastly, check to see that it is publishing to the correct media server. You can do this on the new server itself by opening up the Remote Agent, and clicking the publishing tab. If the media server isn't in there, add it in, and restart the service before checking again.

Laters!

Dev_T
Level 6
Try adding the new PC through User Defined Selections using the IP address.

Jim_Barr
Level 3
After reviewing this some more, I think the issue may be that we may be riding the edge on licensing. We have a 100 user license, and I just found out that our IT manager ordered 10 additional licenses, so this may actually be a licensing issue.

That said, I'll try the suggestions above to see if that helps.

Thanks!

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

I dont think its a licensing issue. Even if we do not have proper licenses, backup exec must see the remote PC if remote agent is installed. Whats the Os installed on the remote PC?

CraigV
Not running through a firewall perhaps? Is the local firewall turned off, or if needed, have you included the RAWS agent's port into the exceptions list?

CraigV
Any news here...?