cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote backup & Dynamic IP address

Gus_Ashkir
Level 2
is it possible to backup an off-site office windows server that using a dynamic IP address ( using dynamic DNS free service )? what are the requirements (I already have the remote agent license) ports...etc?
6 REPLIES 6

Amit_Gupta_2
Level 4
Dynamic IP address should not cause any issue unless you are not using User defined selection using IP Address.
Backup Exec maps the server name to the IP address using DHCP or DNS server or Hosts file.
As long as DHCP servers are providing correct information no issues taking backups.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As mentioned in the previous reply, as long as DHCP servers are providing correct information no issues taking backups.
But it is recommended to use the static IP adress.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Gus_Ashkir
Level 2
Hi,

Thanks, but i was not aware about the 2 business days policy, i will be working on this today and get back to you.

Thanks again

Gus_Ashkir
Level 2
What is the right context to map ex: mycoolserver.dyndns.org? I had tried in the user definition selection window: \\ mycoolserver.dyndns.org AND \\www. mycoolserver.dyndns.org
In both cases, the link is created, but a logon Account Selection window will popup with : failed to access myserver.dyndns.org, Access is denied, with option the edit the user name and the password of the system logon account.
If I switch to the detected IP address ( the results of pinging : mycoolserver.dyndns.org ), everything works fine!, Mapping, backup and restore!

Any ideas? things to try?

Thanks

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Use the account which has the local admin rights on the remote server.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Gus_Ashkir
Level 2
still not able to login but at least i know now it's windows 2003 security problem / configuration on the remote server.
if i try to access the drive from run : \\ip address, it's working fine, but when i try run :\\dynamic address, the windows authentication popsup and request the user name & password!!!
will not login even that i'm using the local admin one.
Any idea??
Thanks