Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing backup data

Alex_Zn
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello!

How to correctly remove backup data from Backup EXEC server ? Do i need to create media set with minimal protection period or there is some another variant ?

How can i find backups which belongs to some client ? For example i want to remove SQL database backup from server, but leave filesystem backup, what i need to do ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Alex: I think you're missing my point here...you cannot selectively remove data from a backup that is already on tape or disk. You cannot do this. You need to restore the data that exists on tape/disk to a disk location, delete it from there, and then back it up again. Then your data that will now be on a B2D/tape will no longer contain your customer's data.

If you are thinking about removing it from a backup job, just deselect what you don't need anymore by doing this on your selection list.

It really is that simple!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV

If you're talking about removing data from a backup tape/disk, the only way around this is to restore the data to a temporary location, remove what you don't want, and then backup to disk/tape again.

There is no way to erase the data selectively.

Thanks!

Alex_Zn
Level 6
Partner Accredited

How to remove data completely for one client ?

CraigV

...as above Alex: Restore the data to disk and delete all the information for that client. Once done, back it up again.

Alex_Zn
Level 6
Partner Accredited

But i do not need any data for that client! I still need to perform restore ?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If backing up data for multiple customers/cleints the best practices are make sure you use different tapes and BKF files for different customers. This then allows you to remove one customers/clients data without affecting others. If you did not do that as your backup strategy then you cannot erase the data without affecting any other customers.

If by 'client' your are refering to a server being discontinued within one customer, you won't be able to individually remove that data either, however unless the data is really old don't you still have a duty to be able to restore it (i.e. why do you need to delete the data)

CraigV

Alex: I think you're missing my point here...you cannot selectively remove data from a backup that is already on tape or disk. You cannot do this. You need to restore the data that exists on tape/disk to a disk location, delete it from there, and then back it up again. Then your data that will now be on a B2D/tape will no longer contain your customer's data.

If you are thinking about removing it from a backup job, just deselect what you don't need anymore by doing this on your selection list.

It really is that simple!

Alex_Zn
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If for example i want to remove all backup data from Backup Exec, do i need to perform "Erase" ? For each tape or disk media ? Will it expaire information from Catalog ?

CraigV

If you erase the tape/B2D you lose everything...a problem if you have multiple clients in that job and only want to erase 1. If not, and it is all 1 client's data you no longer need, then an erase is the way to go.

This will automatically place the B2D/tape into the Scratch set again.

With regards to the catalogs, if you tried to restore data from a specific date you have just erased in any way, then it would ask for a particular media...since this no longer contains any data, you won't be able to restore.

Also, the BEDB maintenance tasks would automatically expire this after 90 days default.

Alex_Zn
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is it possible to run expiration manually? For example i want to totally clear BE from backups.

CraigV

You can do this by setting your catalog retention manually under Tools --> Options (certainly under BE 2010).