cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename Backup Exec Server

Mike_Garner
Not applicable
I have installed BE 10.d cleanly on a new windows server named backup-new. I'm replacing old server hardware. Now that its all tested and running I want to rename the server to Backup (dropping the -new). When I rename the server and reboot most of the backup exec services fail to start. This appears to be because they are still looking for the database at the MSDE instance BACKUP-NEW\BKUPEXEC

I've tried using the beutility to move the database, change database location, etc. but can't seem to make it work. When I select New Backup Exec Database Location.. and select the BACKUP\BKUPEXEC instance the utility reports that the instance is already in use by another media server. How do I get around this endless chicken and egg scenario???

In the meantime I've been able to rename the windows server back to backup-new and it all works fine but I really don't want to leave it with this name and don't want to perform a clean install of BE because I have numerous jobs, selection lists, etc that I don't want to recreate.

Thanks,
Mike
1 REPLY 1

David_Chadwick
Level 3
Hi Mike,

I did exactly the same thing recently (renamed my BE 10d server). I did it about 2 months ago so I can't tell you exactly what I had to do, but I remember it wasn't too hard.

Open the registry and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Veritas

I searched for the old server name under this key and found it in several places. I changed them all to the new name and everything has worked perfectly since.

Again, I can't be certain this is all I did. I just know that it only took me about 10 minutes of fiddling around to get it working. I just had a look then and there is specifically a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Veritas\BEDatabase key with the name of the server in there. Perhaps this is the only key that needs modification.

Cheers,
David