cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repartition SBS 2003 during IDR

Michael_Hensley
Level 2
Hi,

I need to repartion the RAID 5 array on my Small Business Server 2003 server to get more space on my system partition.

I was wondering if there is any way to repartition your hard drives during an IDR restore on a Windows Small Business Server 2003? It appears that repartitioning isn't an option for Windows Server 2003 during restore.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the easiest/fastest way to accomplish this?
4 REPLIES 4

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi,

I know there is definitely no problem doing a "Manual disaster Recovery" (forget about IDR, install Windows, make your own partitions, hit restore, etc..)

I suspect this is the long way around however. Try looking into products such as PartitionMagic.

Michael_Hensley
Level 2
Thanks Josh,

Yes, my concern here is really saving time, so I was hoping to be able to cut a few steps by using the IDR feature. I guess it was possible to do this with Windows 2000 Server, but not Win2k3.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hi Michael,
During the Windows Setup boot process, when you press and insert the diskette containing the ASR files; IDR uses Windows ASR to restore the critical partitions that were previously on the computer. If the ASR files are included in the bootable image, you are not prompted to provide them. The partitions are created as they were defined in the ASR configuration file.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Michael_Hensley
Level 2
Actually, I tried that, but there is still no option to change the partition size during the process. I am just going to go long way around (forget about IDR, install Windows, make your own partitions, hit restore, etc..) and restore from a USB drive to speed up the process.

I really don't think it can be done from IDR.

Thanks for your help.