cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restart when updating RAWS!?

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I am a bit confused about the behavior of BE when updating the RAWS.
When does the remote server needs to be restarted?
I know, restarts are necessary when AOFO is pushed with the RAWS.
I also got systems, which needed a restart after updating the raws, and others which did not, although the same updates have been pushed. (seen in pushlist)
Can anyone make things clearer for me? ;)

best regards

Dominik
8 REPLIES 8

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Hi Dom,

Usually a server should not need a restart after just pushing out the Remote Agent only.
Are the servers that are requesting the restart the same OS?
Is there a pattern?

Thanks
Gilly

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I cannot see any system behind it

I had it on a 2008 fileserver
2003 x64 server with 2007 exchange
2008 dc
2003 dc

First i thought the service packs needed the restart, but then they just went trough on another server and a restart was requested after applying a hotfix.
I just don't understand the strange behavior.
No one else had that "problem"? Got it on many customer systems, so where are you guys, I sure cannot be the only one...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Did you select the option to allow it to restart your server straight after installation? This would be the only time the installation restarts automatically. If you didn't (leaving it up to you), then take a look at the Event Viewer and see if there are specific errors there. If there are, post them here...

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
It does not restart automatically, but it does prompt for a restart.
This however does not occur on every system and not after specific hotfixes or service packs.
It's a little confusing...

CraigV
That is weird. It should either restart automatically (if it's selected!), or prompt you if you don't.
Which version of BE are you using?

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi Craig,

perhaps a little misunderstanding...

After applying a hotfix, the remote server 1 needed a restart (BE threw a pop-up), but another server (server 2) did not needed to be restarted (no pop-up) after applying the same hotfix.
This is what is confusing me... 

CraigV
Service pack and patch levels on the remote server? Which OSs don't restarts, and which do? It could be a difference in the OS meaning no restarts are needed if the patch is viewed as non-critical, or it's able to be applied without a restart = downtime.

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
So nobody knows when this leads to a restart and when not. That is completly crazy!
I am not able to determine any system behind it.
Let's think of the following scenario:

Server 1: Server 2003 Standard
Server 2: Server 2003 Standard

both get an Update of the RAWS. Server 1 is prompting for an restart, server 2 is not. I can't understand that, as they both have the same underlying system and get the same updates.

This remains a Backup Exec miracle for me...  ;)

greetz!

Dominik