cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore B2D from Tape

Restore_B2D_fro
Level 2
Hi,

Is anyone know if it's possible to restore a B2D from a Tape? I mean, Open the B2D file from the tape directly and restore only the files that you need (which they're located in the B2D file)... as you can do for example with a ZIP file. You're not obliged to unzip the all contents to copy the file, you browse it and then extract only the files that you need. I know how the B2D works but I don't know if you can browse the file from a tape where you just backed it up.

Regards,

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you have done a standard "copy" Backup (you have run a normal backup iof the BKF files), then no, you must restore the BKF files, inventory the B2D folder, then catalog, then restore

If, however, you do a "DUPLICATE" job of the BKF files, then, yes, you can restore data directly from tape

Restore_B2D_fro
Level 2
Ok, I'll explain exactly what I've done:

I made a full backup of my E Drive on a B2D file and I stored it on my D Drive as FullBackupE.bfk
Then, I made a full backup of all drives on Tape C, D and E.
Now, I would restore only some files contained in the FullBackupE.bfk file but directly from the tape and not by restoring the file on E drive and then extract files from E drive to their original location. Clearly, I would extract the files directly from the bfk file from Tape...

What do you mean by a duplicate job?

Eric

boomer
Level 3
use Microsoft "ntbackup" for your restore.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
When you create a job, one option is "Job Type" (or something similar) with a drop down menu

The choice of "Duplicate" will copy the info from disk to tape, and update the catalogs so that you can restore directly from the tape.

(You can use Policies to automat this if you want to do it on a regular basis)

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If he has backed up the BKF file(s) usiong anyting except a "Duplicate" job, NTBackup will only restore the BKF files from tape, not user data