cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Exchange 2003 mailbox

tolinrome1
Level 5

hello,

I need to restore an Exchange 2003 mailbox from tape using backup exec 12.5. The mailbox is from a few years ago and I have the tape from offsite storage. After I insert the tape media, do I just do an inventory and the use the restore wizard and folow the steps? Does a Recovery Storage Group need to be created in Exchange first? I havent doen this in many years.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When you see the restore selection list try to expand the Exchange Information Store... then try to expand the Storage Group and then drill down further to Mailbox database and the mailboxes below this.

So if you are able to drill down to individual mailboxes and even emails under it, then it means that the backups are taken using Granular Restore Technology (GRT).

If the backups are brick level then you will be able to see Exchange Mailboxes under which you will see all the mailboxes.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

After I insert the tape media, do I just do an inventory and the use the restore wizard and folow the steps?

Sounds right.  If there is no record in the Database for that tape volume, then you will also need to catalog the tape

If the backup was made using GRT, you will need enough temp space to restore the entire storage group so that backup exec can extract the desired mailbox

If it was made using the Legacy "Brick Level" backup, just go ahead and restore. 

tolinrome1
Level 5

Thanks Ken, How do I know if it was GRT (is that granular restore?) or Brick level?

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When you see the restore selection list try to expand the Exchange Information Store... then try to expand the Storage Group and then drill down further to Mailbox database and the mailboxes below this.

So if you are able to drill down to individual mailboxes and even emails under it, then it means that the backups are taken using Granular Restore Technology (GRT).

If the backups are brick level then you will be able to see Exchange Mailboxes under which you will see all the mailboxes.

Thanks,

-Sush...