cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Restore Exchange 2007 individual messages

Mazama
Level 3
Environment is a Windows server 2008 small business server with BE 2010 SBS bundle. This machine hosts an Exchange 2007 and backs up to an RDX drive. The exchange backup is set to Full (flush committed logs) and Use GRT. The MAPI client is installed and the backup job completes with no errors.

A user managed to delete most messages in his inbox and wants them restored. Seemed simple; I loaded up the RDX cartridge, selected the messages into a list, ran a restore to put the messages directly back in the mailbox, and got the following error : 

"Final error: 0x13 - The media is write protected. "

I do not understand why I would ever get this error on a *restore* job. The account for the services is a domain administrator and an exchange organization administrator. My device seems to meet all requirements for GRT (no file size limit, local). I have tried this job with an without dismounting the message database, and it all leads me to the same error.

A sample job log is attached.

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Job Log: BEX_ESVR_00150.xml

Completed status: Failed    See error(s)

Job Information
				Job server: ESVR
Job name: Restore 00010 - RayT Inbox
Job started: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 4:24:30 PM
Job type: Restore
Job Log: BEX_ESVR_00150.xml

Job Operation - Restore

Server - ESVR

-

Job Completion Status
				Job ended: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 4:24:33 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0x13 - The media is write protected.
Final error category: Other Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-0-19

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Restore- ESVR
 - 

5 REPLIES 5

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You are right why it gives this error message when we are restroing the data, this error comes when we try to write the data.

I don't think it has to do anything with exchange. It seems to be the issue with the drive or tape. Have you tried restoring a file from the same tape? Have you tried restoring the data from other tape? If both of these works and if only happens while donig the exchange restore then duplicate the backup on disk and try it again.

Mazama
Level 3
File restore from same cartridge works, Exchange message restore still fails.

Note that this is not tape but RDX media, which is a removable hard drive system. BE sees it as a removable backup-to-disk folder. The copy of the backups onto local disk is in progress, I'll update again later.

Mazama
Level 3

Creating a new backup-to-disk folder on a local fixed disk, moving the data from RDX to that,  and performing an inventory and catalog seems to have allowed the restore job to succeed. I ran the same restore job but targeted from the different source device; the job reported success. (Have not yet recieved confirmation from the user who owns the mailbox, but BE claims to have moved data.)

[Update: The user reports his messages are restored.]

So why oh why would such a restore fail when pulled from RDX media, but succeed when pulled from local disk?!

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
May be BE is not able to read properly from the RDX media and that is the reason it worked fine when you put it on local disk. We have seen it in the case of tapes and disks and duplicating to local disk resolves it most of the times

Mazama
Level 3

Testing has indicated that the GRT restore of exchange mail messages fails if the RDX media's write-protect tab is switched to "protected", and succeeds if the tab is switched to "not protected". The windows host system can read from the media just fine with write-protection on, so this appears to be strictly a BE issue.

I'm still working with support, but I intend to file this as a bug.

Whether designed behavior or not, this behavior is not desired. (If doing a restore, why would a person *not* want to write-protect their latest good backup?!)